Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  27 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

I would like advice price to for rewiring older apartment.

I would like advice price to for rewiring older apartment. House is built 1820. Apartment is ~1200 sq. ft. Kitchen and bath is demoed so access to ceiling and walls very easy. I need to rewire bath and kitchen to meet current code. Also, rewire 5 remaining rooms to add outlets and switches, but not necessarily to meet code. Use of wiremold is fine. Estimating 56 total devices, receptacles, switches, lights. No fixtures included in estimate. I am a licensed electrician, but don't actively work in the field, so not up to speed on current pricing. Thanks. Dave
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Hello.....my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!

1) Hello Dave..........depending upon your location in the United States, electrical hourly labor rates are approximately $60 per hour for an independent electrical contractor up to $125 for a union electrical contractor. The average hourly rate for most independent contractors is around the $60 to $75 per hour range.

2) As you know, most electricians price their quotes on a "per opening" basis. A "per opening" is the quantity of all devices in a box. For example, a 3 gang switch box would be considered as 3 openings and not just 1 opening. A 2 gang or quad duplex receptacle wall box would be considered as 2 openings and not 1, etc.

3) With the "per opening" price in mind, most common pricing averages around the $60 to $75 price range for an independent electrical contractor and that is for "open wall" construction. In your application, you will also need to factor in the additional cost of purchasing and installing metal "Wiremold".

In your application, you will most likely end up fishing some enclosed walls using either Flexible Metal Conduit or Metal Clad cable or Romex cable. Therefore I would increase the "per opening" price as necessary depending upon existing conditions.

I also add a few dollars more to each device if they will be "Decora" type and not the standard types of devices to cover the additional cost of the Decora's.

Same thing with GFCI receptacles, add the additional cost for each device to cover the additional material cost of the GFCI.

CAT 5E computer, RG6 Coaxial and CAT 3 telephone cabling averages around $90 per run. Possibly lower if the run is shorter. The use of "Keystone" inserts @ the wall plates is the most common for the low voltage terminations.

Home run pricing for a regular 15 or 20 amp single pole circuit averages around $125 per circuit. If using AFCI for the home runs, average price is around $175 per circuit. If using GFCI for the home run, average price is around $165 per circuit.

Ceiling fans average around $75 to install providing electric is at the ceiling. If installing a wall switch for a ceiling fan, I add on an additional $140 to cover the cost of the combo fan switch and labor to install the wall switch.

For 240 volt appliance circuits, I double the price of the home run and the device opening.

Don't forget to include any permit fees, municipality licensing fees, additional bonding fees and/or inspection fees.

I total up the quantity of openings, home runs, etc and then I add an additional 10% to 15% on the project to cover for any miscellaneous items that I may have omitted.

4) To meet the existing 2011 National Electrical Code, the following need to be included:

A) Arc Fault Circuit Breakers for all living areas, ie, bedrooms, living room, family room, etc.

B) Bathroom needs to be on a 20 amp dedicated circuit and GFCI protected at the receptacles or the use of a GFCI circuit breaker for the branch circuit. I do not recommend sharing the 20 amp dedicated circuit for the receptacles in other bathrooms. Always best to wire each bathroom with its own dedicated 20 amp circuit.

C) Duplex receptacles need to be the Tamper Proof type

D) Inter-communicated smoke alarms in each bedroom and in the hallway. A carbon monoxide alarm in the hallway area outside of the bedrooms. To save on labor, you can also use wireless inter-communicated smoke alarms. Some manufacturers also make a combo smoke/carbon monoxide unit.

E) Kitchen countertop receptacles require a minimum of (2) two dedicated 20 amp circuits which must be GFCI protected. Nothing else on these circuits, no lighting and not shared with any other appliances or rooms.

F) Recommend that the microwave oven area have its own dedicated 20 amp circuit and not shared.

G) Dish washer and garbage disposals may be on a shared neutral circuit, but each should have their own dedicated 15 or 20 amp circuits depending upon the nameplate rating of the appliance.

H) Wall switches either need to have a neutral conductor installed or future accessible means to be able to install a neutral conductor. This requirement is for Occupancy Sensors that require a neutral conductor.

Hope this helps.........If you have any additional questions, let me know and I'll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don't forget to rate me before you log Off.

The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at:http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician
..........Thanks..............Kevin!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Kevin,

I am located in Massachusetts, the labor rate is 125 / hr for 1 master and a helper. I was hoping you could provide a number based on the info I gave you. There is no cat 5 or anything else. just electrical. can you estimate a cost with the info/

Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

1) Sure, not a problem. However, I need the quantity of bedrooms, bathrooms and I assume there is only a Living Room and no separate Family Room? What are the 5 remaining room types?

2) I also need to know if any 240 volt circuits such as Air Conditioning, kitchen appliances, baseboard heating, etc. and if the kitchen will have a dishwasher & garbage disposal.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

OK, 1 Bathroom, 1 Kitchen, with dishwasher, 1 microwave, NO disposal (walls demoed in these two rooms to make wiring easier). 2, 240 volt home runs from kitchen (1 for stove, 1 for laundry). 2 bedrooms, plus small office (only 2 outlets needed in office). Living room (6 outlets, 1 switch leg), Dining room (5 outlets). 3 pull chain closet lights. There is no electric heat.

Thanks.

Dave

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Hello Dave.......thank you for the replies.

Sorry for the delay in getting your answer. Creating a spreadsheet and reviewing takes a bit of time.

Attached is a spreadsheet showing a line item breakout of the circuit quantities, types and devices. See below:

Massachusetts 2 Bedroom
Apartment
Estimated Electrical Cost
Spreadsheet
October 21, 2013
QtyDescription Unit Cost Total CostComments
130 amp (240 VAC) Electric Dryer
Circuit
$
345.00
$
345.00
4-wire circuit. Does not include
cord cost
120 Amp Laundry
Circuit (Washer)
$
125.00
$
125.00
Code requires a
20 amp for laundry area
220 Amp Kitchen
Countertop Circuits
$
145.00
$
290.00
Cost includes 2
GFCI Receptacles
120 Amp
Dishwasher Circuit
$
125.00
$
125.00
May be a 15 amp
if heater is not on @ same time as washer
130 amp (240 VAC)
Electric Range Circuit
$
345.00
$
345.00
4-wire circuit.
Does not include cord cost
120 amp Microwave
Oven circuit
$
125.00
$
125.00
Recommend
dedicated circuit for microwave
120 amp Bathroom
Circuit
$
145.00
$
145.00
Cost Includes 1
GFCI Receptacle
115 amp Master
Bedroom AFCI circuit
$
175.00
$
175.00
Cost includes
AFCI
115 amp Guest
Bedroom & Small Office AFCI Circuit
$
175.00
$
175.00
Cost includes
AFCI
115 amp Kitchen
Lighting/Dining Room AFCI circuit
$
175.00
$
175.00
Cost includes
AFCI
115 amp Living
Room AFCI circuit
$
175.00
$
175.00
Cost includes
AFCI
56Devices:
Receptacles, Switches, Ceiling Lights
$
90.00
$ 5,040.00 Cost does not
include Decora type devices or ceiling fans or ceiling fan wall switches
3Smoke Alarms for
Bedrooms and Hallway
$
90.00
$
270.00
Cost assumes
using wireless devices
1Carbon Monoxide
Alarm
$
90.00
$
90.00
Cost assumes
using wireless devices
1Permit,
Inspection Fees
$
200.00
$
200.00
Assumes industry
average AHJ Costs
Sub-Total $ 7,800.00
Miscellaneous
(10% of Sub-Total above)
$
780.00
Added 10% to
include any miscellaneous labor and/or material cost over runs
Total Estimated
Costs
$ 8,580.00
Notes:
Closet pull chains must be
enclosed globe types
AFCI breakers
required for all habitable living areas
Tamper proof
receptacles required
Suggest using
wireless smokes, less labor and material costs
1 smoke req'd
in each bedroom and hallway
1 carbon
required in hallway outside of bedrooms
Minimum of a
100 amp main breaker service - excludes labor or material for a 100 amp panel
Material costs
for lighting fixtures not included

Since your labor costs in Massachusetts are on the higher than industry average side, I increased the "per opening" costs to $90 each.

I would also recommend that you discuss the layout with your local Authority Having Jurisdiction in the event they may require items above and beyond the NEC to satisfy any local electrical requirements they may have.

Please review and reply back to me with any questions...........Thanks.........Kevin!

Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience: 27 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Hello Dave....... thank you for the excellent service rating as well as the bonus.......much appreciated!

If you have any other questions or follow-up questions, just reply back to me on this question. No need to create another new question.

Good luck with the project and have a great day..........Thanks again...........Kevin!