Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  27 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector

Good afternoon guys, Im hoping I can get some insight. Just

Good afternoon guys,
I'm hoping I can get some insight. Just purchased a leviton outlet with a built in outlet and I wanted to replace an outlet in my hallway with this one. However, the old outlet has 2 receptacles and this leviton is only wired for one of each connection (power,neutral,ground). Is it okay to cap off the others and wrap them in electrical tape? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm mid project.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

Hello Kenny........my name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!

1) The existing receptacle box has two separate duplex receptacles and both are fed from the same branch circuit? Please confirm.

2) Are the two existing receptacles jumpered together or wired using pigtails to each receptacle?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

There is 2 separate hot wires and 2 separate neutrals. With only one ground wire. No pigtails in use and it doesnt look like they were jumped off of eachothet.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can I use wire connectors and tape to cap the wires off?
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

1) Yes Kenny........It is OK to cap off the conductors using wire nuts and wrap some black electricians tape around the wire nuts. Although, I always try to locate the connections in an upstream box and disconnect there if you have an unused circuit.

2) Sounds like the 2nd set of conductors may be on a separate circuit? You can confirm this by using a 2-prong AC voltage tester or an AC voltmeter and measure for voltage at each hot to neutral and turn the branch circuit breaker to OFF to confirm if they are separate circuits.

Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience: 27 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

Hello Kenny...... thank you for the excellent service rating......... much appreciated!

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Take care and have a great Sunday.................Thanks................Kevin!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Thanks a lot. Much appreciated. Now off to finish my mini project. Thanks again!

Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.
1) Glad I could assist Kenny..........take care..............Kevin!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Kevin,on this same outlet..would there be a reason why power would still be getting to it despite me switching off every breaker. The only time it loses power is if I shut off the main ...

Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

1) Hello Kenny...... the only way it can get power is if there is a double tap coming off one of the main phases. If all of the branch circuit breakers are turned OFF, that's the only possible way.

2) Take a look at your 2 main service entrance wires that terminate onto the main breaker inside the panel. There should only be (1) one conductor in each of the lugs. If more than 1 conductor there, that's a double tap and is a violation of the National Electrical Code as well as a safety hazard. If you have a double tap on the mains, that needs to be relocated as a branch circuit and protected by an individual branch circuit breaker.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Yes I switched every circuit breaker off.however unless I shut the main. It still works. By it I mean the outlet and the power to half the basement as well. I don't see more than one wire coming off of any of the knockouts on the circuit panel.

Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

1) Since no individual branch circuit breaker is controlling it and no double tap at the main breaker lugs, then the hot must be originating at the LOAD side of the exterior electrical utility meter and is bypassing the main electrical panel. The LOAD side of the meter socket are the 2 hot service entrance wires that land on the main breaker lugs, ie , same wires.

2) The only 3 ways you can get power into the house is to double tap the meter socket (which is against code and also illegal), double tap the main breaker (against code) or the hot conductor lands on an individual branch circuit breaker inside the main panel.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Actually,does this picture look correct?

Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

1) Yes, looks correct. The large gray cable is your service entrance wires that originate from the meter socket. The 2 hots in the gray cable are the ones that land on your main breaker lugs.

2) The white and black Romex cables are for your branch circuits terminating throughout the home.