Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector

We removed the inside part of an ac/heater from a mobile home.

We removed the inside part of an ac/heater from a mobile home. There were 3 wires feeding to the heater 2 black wires coming from the main panel 70 amp breaker and a ground wire. I would like to wire this 110 to a small subpanel to be used for a 15 amp outlet and 110 lights. How would I wire this to the subpanel without having a nuetral wire. name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!

1) All sub-panels require a 4 wire circuit, 2 hots, 1 neutral and 1 equipment grounding conductor.

2) A sub-panel is both 120 and 240 volts. A neutral wire is required.

3) If you only want (1) one 120 volt branch circuit, you can use one of the black wires as the hot, the 2nd black wire will need to be re-identified as a neutral wire using white electricians tape at each end and you would need the ground.

4) You would also need to use a 15 amp single pole circuit breaker in the main electrical panel and pigtail some 14 AWG copper onto each of the existing black wires in order for the conductors to fit onto the 15 amp circuit breaker and the receptacle screw terminals.

Hope this helps.........If you have any additional questions, let me know and I'll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don't forget to rate me before you log Off.

The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at:

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had considered turning one of the black wires into a nuetral. Thanks for confirming that. But what I don't understand is how could the original installers get by with not running a 4 wire 220 cable in the first place. Wouldn't that be against electrical code to do that? When I removed the cable to the main panel from the heater I only saw the 3 wires. It was connected to a 2 circuit breaker. It also had a 3 wire cable
running from it to the outside unit. running off this same junction.

1) You mentioned that it was a heater. If a 240 volt heater, then no neutral wire is required, only the 2 hot's and 1 ground.

2) If it was a sub-panel using both 120 and 240 volts, yes, that is an electrical code violation.

3) If they tapped into the circuit and extended it to the exterior for a receptacle, that's also a code violation and not safe.

Hello Randy...........thank you for the excellent service rating as well as the bonus.......much appreciated!

If you have any other questions or follow-up questions, just reply back to me at this question. No need to create a new question.

Take care and have a great Sunday................Thanks..............Kevin!