Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

I want to run conduit to an outbuilding (to feed a 100 amp

I want to run conduit to an outbuilding (to feed a 100 amp panel). A trencher that will lay flexible pipe would be so much efficient than trenching with a backhoe. Is there a flexible conduit suitable for the purpose? The distance is about 150'.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. You need to use a PVC conduit. Flexibility would only present a wire pulling problem and there isn't a product to do it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That leaves me thinking I need to use a backhoe with a narrow bucket to trench. Do you have any experience with PVC being laid with a trencher?

Only around 44 years worth. What specificly can I help you with?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just wondering if a trencher leaves a wide enough gap to drop the pvc into the hole, or whether I need to use a backhoe.

You can use a trencher without a problem. The width of the cut depends on the trencher. Any trencher able to dig an 18" deep will do.
Here's a couple of tips to make it easier.
1) lay a board across the ditch at the end of the conduit to allow you to glue it out of the ditch.
2) put a loop of rope on the lat end of conduit to retrieve it if it falls into the trench.