Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

I have some 2 lamp 8ft T12 single pin fixture that I would

I have some 2 lamp 8ft T12 single pin fixture that I would like to replace the magnetic ballasts with electronic. I get all kind of answers about needing to switch to T8 and/or twin pin lamps instead of single pin. Some of the electricians want to change the whole fixture. What's the scoop. Seems like it would be simple to change.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. You can install an electronic ballast and use T12 lamps. You will need to reconfigure the connections as shown on the ballast wiring diagram.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Mike,

If I go to T8 single pin lamps with the electronic ballast can I use the same pin sockets.

Yes you can.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike,

I've got a number of 8ft T12 fixtures with magnetic ballasts on one branch circuit. I'd like to change to electronic as the magnetic expire (right now just a couple.) I read somewhere a comment that if you mix electronic and magnetic on one circuit the electronic will have a short life. Do you know anything about this?

When I install the new ballasts would it be better to use the T12 or T8? I understand the electronic ballasts are for one or the other.

Thanks loads.

John Rowsey

mixing ballast types will not affect them because of the mix. I would suggest using the T8 lamp. T22 lamps are being phased out for energy conservation.