AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

My house is 110 volt and has a red, white, black and a copper

My house is 110 volt and has a red, white, black and a copper wire. I am trying to install a bathroom fan/ light. The fan/ light unit has 2 black wires - one is marked fan connection the other light connection. It has 2 white wires - one is marked fan, the other light connection. The unit has 2 green wires that I assume are ground wires. How do I connect them to my red white black copper house wires?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 11 months ago.

AssuredElectrical :

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

Do you have 2 switches for this on the wall? one for fan and one for light?

Customer:

Yes I do. I am replacing an older unit.

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, thanks.

AssuredElectrical :

Take the white from the ceiling and connect to BOTH whites in the fan unit.

Customer:

OK

AssuredElectrical :

Take the black from the ceiling and connect to ONE black on the fan

Customer:

OK

AssuredElectrical :

take the red from the ceiling and connect to the OTHER black

Customer:

OK

AssuredElectrical :

take the bare copper and connect to the green wires

AssuredElectrical :

that will do it.

Customer:

I sort of figured that was right, I'm glad you helped me. I need to get a copy of this, can you email it to me?

AssuredElectrical :

I always copy the and then paste into a word program.

Customer:

Thanks!

AssuredElectrical :

This question remains on site indefinitely. it will not go away at any time. You can come back as often as you wish also

Customer:

Great

AssuredElectrical :

enjoy the new fan

Customer:

Thank you.

AssuredElectrical :

you are most welcome

AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience: Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade