Alex
Alex, Master Electrician
Experience:  Owner of independent electrical contracting company. Licensed Electrical Contractor in CT.
33304076

I recently had to turn off one of my breakers due to a problem

I recently had to turn off one of my breakers due to a problem with my exhaust fan. My refrigerator is now not working but the light is still on in the fridge. My question is if the breaker I turned off also regulated the refrigerator would the light not go off too?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Alex replied 11 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help

Is it regular household refrigerator?

Do you have volt meter with two probes?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

The fridge is a household refrigerator.

Expert:  Alex replied 11 months ago.
Do you have volt meter with two probes? Or outlet tester?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What does that mean?
Expert:  Alex replied 11 months ago.
You do not have electrical tester to check the outlet?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

No I dont

Expert:  Alex replied 11 months ago.
Lets do this.

Unplug the refrigerator and plug lamp in to the same outlet and tell me if it works. It's better if you plug hair dryer and check.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Unfortunately I cannot move the fridge. If it was the breaker that I turned off would the light go off in the fridge?

Expert:  Alex replied 11 months ago.
That's correct. House hold refrigerator has one plug so the light as well as compressor is on the same power feed. So it looks like the breaker you shut off is not for the fridge.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

In case of a power failure will the breaker I turned off automatically turn on after the power comes back on?

Expert:  Alex replied 11 months ago.
Did you turn off the main breaker or just one of the breakers?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Just one

Expert:  Alex replied 11 months ago.
The breaker will not come on by it self. You will have to manually turn it back on.
Alex, Master Electrician
Experience: Owner of independent electrical contracting company. Licensed Electrical Contractor in CT.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your help

Expert:  Alex replied 11 months ago.
You are welcome

please consider rating my answer when satisfied as its the only way I get paid my share of your payment.