Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 45 years Experience
29848548

I have two light fixtures in my basement that needed to be

I have two light fixtures in my basement that needed to be replaced. They were very simple. Just the bulb hanging out with a cord attached to turn them on and off-no wall switch. I checked them first, they were both lighting up their bulbs. Obviously then, the breaker was also on. I wanted to replace them with an upgraded bulb and globe, still with the string to pull for on and off. I turned off the breaker. Back downstairs, I removed the old base, disconnecting the wires. I attached the wires for the first new base (black to black, white to white, ground to ground screwed together with caps) and tried to turn the breaker back on to test it. The breaker is stuck in the center position. I cannot move it backwards and forcing it forward to the on position does not click and turns on no power. I thought, well maybe I need to connect up the other light rather than just having the wires hanging down. Nope, no change on the breaker. Well, then I'll just disconnect both new bases and let the wires dangle. No change to the breaker. Still stuck in the center. I don't think the breaker is bad, it was working moments before I began to replace the old fixtures. Help?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. Sometimes a breaker hangs up due to oxidation on the internal parts. I suggest rapping the body of the breaker (not too hard) with a screwdriver handle to possibly allow it to be able to reset.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Nothing at all. Rapping with a plastic handled screwdriver had no results. Still stuck in the middle position.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Replace the breaker. As a temp connection double up the wire on another breaker of the same size. This will allow you to use the lights until you get a replacement.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The breaker was working perfectly minutes before. Are you thinking that the breaker failed during the short time I was working on replacing the new fixture?

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
As I stated, it hung up internally. It happens. Replace it.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience: Proven Professional 45 years Experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I replaced it and now all is well. I took the old one and whacked it harder, forcing the switch back. Now, it works just fine. There you have it. Thanks for the hel[.