Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

Hi, I am trying to replace a ceiling fan/light with a normal

Hi, I am trying to replace a ceiling fan/light with a normal light(black/white wires), but there are 2 switches on the wall to control both the light and the fan. How should I configure this?
Should I replace the 2 wall switched(same faceplate) with 1 switch and isolate some of the wires?
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. Just use one switch and leave the other unwired.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, I want to replace the wall switch with a dimmer switch, there are 2 black wires on the back of the double switch, and 1 red, how should I use these in the new dimmer switch?

If you look at the wires as they enter the box, you'll see a black and red in one cable. Those 2 wires are the travelers and the single black is the common. Your dimmer will have 2 wires that are the same color and that is where you connect the travelers. The common wires to the remaining wire.