Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

I have a light on each each end of our gate entering our property.

I have a light on each each end of our gate entering our property. The lights do not work and the circuit breaker is tripped and cannot be reset.
Inside the closest electrical outlet box (in a water proof box) there are two hot leads.... one is functioning (makes the gate opener work) yet the second is not....(assume that is the one with the tripped breaker). I followed the PVC pipe and it disaapears under ground and can not locate where it goes. The breaker is a 20 amp breaker (i guess they are "mini-breakers") takes one space but with two 20 amp breakers.
Could one of there go bad without the other side going bad?
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. Iy is possible that the breake failed. Connect the wire from the tripped breaker to anothe of the same size to see if the circuit holds.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mike, I iwll do that this weekend. If the other breaker holds, then I know the original breaker is bad and will replace.

What do you suggest in the "other" breaker trips as well.... that means there is something else going on.....

I have several meters that can be used to test the circuits out.... would they be useful?

If the test breaker trips, break the circuit as close as possible to the lights and try to reset the breaker. This will show if the circuit is shorted underground. If it holds then you'll need to check the lights for a short. Troubleshooting is a process of elimination.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your help.

I retraced all the circuits as you said.

Finding power at all junction, I then traced it to the problem area.

I saw where the power was connect yet the previous owner took out the photo sensor so there was no power feed to the leg going to the lights.

I tested this with a jumper and the lights went on.

I proceeded to buy a photo sensor and voila, the lights go on at night.

They were on a different circuit. Now I have to trace the other circuit that is tripped.

Thank you.

Very good. You're welcome.