Steve G., Electrical Engineer
Experience:  27 years in Electrical Engineering, designing electrical plans and specifications.
329447

My wall oven has a Red, Black, White and a thin Bare wire.

My wall oven has a Red, Black, White and a thin Bare wire. My 220 has only a Black, White and a Bare wire (all same gauge). What should be connected to what?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Steve G. replied 10 months ago.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

Let me try and explain what is going on here. In US residential electrical systems, you typically have a 120/240V three wire system comprising two hots and a neutral (we'll ignore the bare ground wires).

This arrangement provides 120V for receptacles, lights and smaller appliances by connecting them between either hot and the neutral wire. For larger appliances and air conditioning, water heating etc the arrangement provides 240V across the two hot wires.

Some appliances like your new oven needs both voltages - 120 for the clock and computer controls and 240V for the heating elements. So, you have to run two hots (240) and the neutral so that you can derive 120V.

Your previous oven didn't need 120V so only the two hots were run.

So...you are going to have to have a new three conductor plus ground cable installed unfortunately. While you really only need that extra neutral conductor, it is not to code to simply string another single wire between the box and the panel.

I'm sorry but there is no way around it.

Please let me know if you need further information. I'm sorry that there is no quick and easy fix for this predicament.

I'll be here.

Steve

Steve G., Electrical Engineer
Experience: 27 years in Electrical Engineering, designing electrical plans and specifications.