Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

I recently installed a timer switch (single pole) to control

I recently installed a timer switch (single pole) to control my outside lights. The switch is Leviton VPT24. The switch has four wires: Green - connected to Ground Black - Connected to Hot/Live White - Connected to Neutral (both to lights and the white wire paired with the black Hot/Live wire) Red - Connected to the black wire (load?) going to to the lights The timer turns on and becomes programmable, but the lights never turn off. I've tried different configurations, and only this one works; other trip the breacker or dont work at all. Any idea why the light might not turn off? they are always on.

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. Are the black, red and white wires all in the same cable entering the box? Was the switch replaced a 3 way switch?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The replaced switch was single pole switch.

The Box is a duplex box. one switch controls an indoor fixture (also single pole).

The wires coming into the box are 3 pairs (each pair having a black and white wire).

It was wired the following way, and it worked.

The 3 white wires were all joined together with a scotch-lock (I believe these are the neutrals - could be wrong).

One of the black wires went to both single pole switches (I believe this is the live/hot - again could be wrong).

Each of the two other black wires, went to the single pole switches (one to each).

I tried to replace one of the single pole switches, with a Leviton VPT24 timer switch.

The timer switch, has a Green (ground), Black, White and Red wires.

The Green went to ground.

The Black wire went to the previously joined black wires (live/hot).

The White wire went to the previously joined white wire

The Red wire went to the back wire that came to the single pole switch I was replacing.

The timer switch becomes programmable, but the light always stays on, they never turn off.

The wiring described is correct. Check the program, it should be set to auto.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks.

But it is set to auto.

Additionally, the override does not turn off the lights either.

With it wired properly, you may have a defective timer. Replace it.