AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade

hi, I am changing a ballast, its a sunpark sl 15 T. The

hi,

I am changing a ballast, it's a sunpark sl 15 T.

The difference between the new one and the old one, is that the new one has 2 yellow wires, 3 blues, 3 reds.

I'm not sure how to wire it. Should one yellow go to both red and blue on one side.

Does it matter which wire is connected?

thanks
marshall
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 9 months ago.

AssuredElectrical :

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

How many lamps and type does the fixture have?

AssuredElectrical :

What is the old ballast make and model?

Customer:

Hi Tommy,

Customer:

The ballast is a sunpark sl 15 t, there are two lamps...

AssuredElectrical :

what are the lamps? length and wattage?

Customer:

48 in sylvannia 32 w

Customer:

i replaced the ballast with a new one, same model

Customer:

i think i haven't connected the wires correctly

AssuredElectrical :

so, they are a T8 lamps

Customer:

there are one set of red, blue, and yellow on one side; two red and two blues on another side...

Customer:

the ballast has two yellow wires

AssuredElectrical :

32 watts can be different lamps

Customer:

i connected yellow, red and blue on one side; red to 2 reds and 2 blues on another side.

AssuredElectrical :

I need the information on the lamps, thanks

Customer:

The second yellow needs to go to a red and blue on the other side? does it matter which ones?

Customer:

I'm looking at the lamp and it says sylvania, 48 in, 32 w... there are two

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, they make F40T12 and F32T8

AssuredElectrical :

should be a number and letters on the lamps

Customer:

fo32

AssuredElectrical :

ok, thanks

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, the old one had 2 reds on one side of one lamp, and 2 blues on one side of the other lamp

AssuredElectrical :

that stays the same with the new ballast

Customer:

the old one had 2 reds on one side, 2 blues on the same side on the other, 1 red, 1 blue and 1 yellow

AssuredElectrical :

One step a ta time. please. Can you confirm the one end I posted?

Customer:

the new one has 2 reds, 2 blues and 2 yellows on the same side

AssuredElectrical :

Can you read my posts?

Customer:

yes that stays the same with the new one

AssuredElectrical :

ok, thanks. we have to do this one step at a time in order not to get confusion

Customer:

understand

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, the old one had one yellow, that went to both lamps on the other end, correct?

Customer:

i believe so

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, that stays the same also

AssuredElectrical :

Now, the new one has a second yellow

Customer:

yes the new one has a second yellow

AssuredElectrical :

that yellow, will connect to the old Red and BLue wires on the same end as the other yellow

AssuredElectrical :

old lamps had one yellow and one red, and one yellow and one blue

AssuredElectrical :

now it will have same yellow to the old yellows, the other yellow to the red AND blue

Customer:

ok, does, it matter which red and blue one I connect it to on the other side? I imagine not...

AssuredElectrical :

Wait

AssuredElectrical :

there is ONLY ONE RED AND BLUE on the lamps

AssuredElectrical :

do not touch the other end with 2 reds and 2 blues

Customer:

umm, not exactly - on one side there is 1 red, 1 blue and 1 yellow wire to the lamp terminal; on the other side 1 terminal has 2 blues and one terminal has 2 reds

AssuredElectrical :

Correct

Customer:

i've connected 1 red, 1 blue 1 yellow on one side and am confused as to the other

AssuredElectrical :

the one with 2 reds and blues, wires the same, the 2 red and 2 blue from the ballast

AssuredElectrical :

Hang on, go a little diagram I did

AssuredElectrical :

Full Size Image

AssuredElectrical :

See if that explains better

Customer:

404 not found

AssuredElectrical :

Site must be messed up, let me upload and paste a link

AssuredElectrical :

CLICK HERE

AssuredElectrical :

can you see that one?

Customer:

i've seen that, just didn't understand it. so let me summarize the two blue wires go to the 2 blue wires, same with the red, the two yellow go to one red and one blue - why is there a single yellow wire on one side? I don't attach to that

AssuredElectrical :

there are 2 yellows

AssuredElectrical :

one yellow connects to the red and blue on that one end

AssuredElectrical :

the other yellow connects to the yellows on the same end

Customer:

ok, so does that mean, on the end with the 2 reds and 2 blues (light terminal) I connect the yellow to one of the red and one of the blue irrespective of each other ? meaning i don't have to worry about polarity?

AssuredElectrical :

No, the end with 2 reds and 2 blues does not connect to any yellow

AssuredElectrical :

that end connects just like the old one, to the 2 reds and the 2 blues

Customer:

this would help me: how to connect this end 1 red, 1 blue 1 yellow; with this end 2 reds 2 blues? what is the wire pattern?

AssuredElectrical :

ok, on that end, ONE lamp has a yellow and red, the other has a yellow and blue, these are the wires connected to the sockets from the old ballast, is that not correct?

Customer:

no one lamp has a blue, and one lamp has a red and yellow

AssuredElectrical :

somehow the yellow was removed ont he lamp with the blue then

AssuredElectrical :

they both should have a yellow

AssuredElectrical :

yellow on one side, blue on the other, the lamp socket has 2 places to connect wires

Customer:

i understand, wierd, because I didn't rip out the other yellow wire...

AssuredElectrical :

yes, it is odd, without the yellow the lamp cannot operate

AssuredElectrical :

Maybe there was a jumper from one to the other?

Customer:

explain this, i'll replace that terminal, terminal a - blue/yellow; terminal b - red/yellow; terminal c - 2 reds, terminal d - 2 blues : how do they get wired?

AssuredElectrical :

just plug a wire into it, no replacing needed

Customer:

ok, tell me the wiring, please

AssuredElectrical :

terminal a - blue/yellow; gets one yellow from ballast to the yellow, one yellow from ballast to the blue.terminal b - red/yellow; gets one yellow from ballast to the yellow (same yellow as other connected to yellow), one yellow from ballast to the blue terminal c - 2 reds, gets the 2 reds from the ballast (doesnt matter which your choice) terminal d - 2 blues :gets 2 blues from the ballast (doesnt matter which your choice) how do they get wired?

AssuredElectrical :

the red and blue are sharing the same yellow from the ballast on the single red and blue wire end, they share the same yellow for their yellows also.

Customer:

ok, I think I can do this , but just to recap - on the side with red/yellow; blue/yellow: yellow to yellow; yellow to red&blue; on side with 2 reds/2 blues, 2 reds to 2 reds; 2 blues to 2 blues?

AssuredElectrical :

that is correct, you have it

Customer:

& it doesn't matter if the two terminal yellow go to a single yellow from the ballast, and same with the red blue?

AssuredElectrical :

Oh, you mean 2 yellow wires from the sockets connected to the single one from the ballast?

Customer:

yes

AssuredElectrical :

That is how its done, correct

Customer:

thanks very much

AssuredElectrical :

one wire to 2 wires on the sockets

AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience: Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade