Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

Iam installing a electrical outlet standard house plug in.

I'am installing a electrical outlet standard house plug in. 15amps 125volt. Iam using a 12/2 wire.I connected wire to existing outlet it already had fours wires going into it.Black and white ones were pushed into oulet holes on outlet. So i connected my black wire to the HOT side black side which matches other two black wires pushed in says hot. I put black wire around screw that is only areas to connect are on the fours screws on side. The other white on the other side which matches with the other white cords pushed in. then i connected ground with the other ground i wrapped ground wire around other many times then connected that one with the ground screw where the other one is. ran that to my box connected white to white, and black to hot. and ground. Is this going to be ok.thanks
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Jason :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Jason :

Based on your description, everything sounds correct.

Jason :

Other than the push-in holes sometimes being problematic, you should be good to go.

Jason :

You may never have trouble with them. Sometimes they work fine for years.

Jason :

Other times, they end up being poor connections over time, causing partial power interruptions.

Jason :

If that does happen to you, you can pigtail the wires. To pigtail, just bring the ends of all like colors together into a wire nut, with a short wire of the same color also in the wire nut. The other end of the short wire goes to the appropriate screw on the outlet, eliminating the need for the push-in holes.

Customer:

Ok, understand if outlet goes bad like u mentioned put all like colors together. Then this short wire.. is the one that sticks through end of cap and connect that to screw.

Customer:

or wind around inside cap then out the bottom and connect to screw.

Jason :

The short wire wouldn't go through the small end of the cap, as that's a solid surface. There are wire nuts available for use that way, but they have to be purchased with the short tail already on them. You would bring the end of the short wire out of the open end of the wire nut, like all of the other wires.

Customer:

ok thanks

Jason :

You are most welcome. Is there anything else I can do for you?

Customer:

no thats it thanks

Jason, Service Technician
Experience: Over 15 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.