electrifier
electrifier, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical contractor and electrical inspector for over 24 years with phone and networking expertise
13036330

i am trying to switch from 2 single switches that control 2

i am trying to switch from 2 single switches that control 2 spa pumps to a 2 in one switch. one is a standard leviton switch, the other is a 20 amp slater with 4 poles. I cant get it to work.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  electrifier replied 11 months ago.

electrifier :

What is the voltage of each of the pumps?

electrifier :

What is the HP of each of the pumps?

electrifier :

You must enter chat and answer my questions in order for me to assist you.

Customer:

Hello?

Customer:

The site wouldn't let me connect to chat...it said loading sorry!

electrifier :

Please answer my questions.

Customer:

I dont see any questions on my chat.

electrifier :

Stay in chat

electrifier :

What is the voltage of each motor.

electrifier :

What is the HP of each motor?

electrifier :

Stay in chat

Customer:

120V 8 amp

electrifier :

Both the same?

Customer:

not sure of the HP i can go check if need be.

Customer:

yes

electrifier :

Amperage tells me what I need to know

electrifier :

What is the 2 in 1 switch you speak of?

electrifier :

stay in chat

Customer:

it is 2 switches in one housing.

electrifier :

what is the part number?

Customer:

I can take pictures and attach. I think that would help

electrifier :

So where does the slater switch come in?

Customer:

Part # XXXXX the slater was one of the old single switches i am trying to replace

electrifier :

Stay in chat

electrifier :

How was the slater switch wired? You said it has 4 terminals on it? How many wires are connected?

Customer:

the top wires on each side were black, the bottom wires on each side were white

Customer:

4 wires were connected.

Customer:

I tested them, and both blacks were hot and the whites were not when the switch was off

electrifier :

Why do you keep going out of chat? I can't follow your responses when you do this.

Customer:

Im not it is just going slow i guess.

electrifier :

How many terminals on the new switch you want to use?

Customer:

did you get mu last response?

Customer:

Not sure how many terminals to use, i thought one hot coming in, then the neutral to each load would do it. I was wrong!

electrifier :

I get everything you type just like you get what I type.

Customer:

would it be easier if you called me?

electrifier :

Do not switch neutrals. They do not go to the switch

electrifier :

You have a hot wire for each motor and you have a black switched wire for each motor.

electrifier :

That is what connects to the switch. I need to know how many terminals there are on the P & S switch you wish you use. Are there 3 or 4?

electrifier :

I looked at a picture of the switch and it shows a black screw. Is this a common screw to feed power to each switch?

Customer:

there is one hot terminal on the right, then three on the left, the bottom one is the common

electrifier :

Is one of these switches 3 way?

Customer:

the hot line to the switch is black (on the right side) and the common is also black on the bottom left

Customer:

no.

Customer:

there is a "split circuit" tab on the back of the switch also, I removed it.

electrifier :

That is what I wanted to know about. Each switch has 2 terminals. The 2 connected by the little tab you need to connect the 2 hot wires for the 2 motor feeds. On the other two terminals connect the wire going to the motors. Any white wires will be wirenutted together with the appropriate mate for the motor.

Customer:

Does the tab need to go back in?

electrifier :

NO!!! It will cause a direct short if you do.

electrifier :

2 independent switches is what you must have

electrifier :

If you were controlling lights it would be all on the same circuit and the tab would stay

Customer:

that is what i thought.

electrifier :

Correct.

electrifier :

The single switch connects to one of the switches of this combo switch. The other switch connect the black wires to this switch and wirenut the whites together

electrifier :

This gives you 2 single pole switches on a single yoke

Customer:

for the white wires, how do I know their mate?

electrifier :

Is your wiring in cables or conduit

Customer:

they are cables

electrifier :

You already had 1 pair of whites connected together

electrifier :

Their blacks were connected to the single pole switch

Customer:

on the one pump with 2 poles they were black, bit on the 4 pole switch the 2 whotes were on the bottom 2 poles

electrifier :

Connect those 2 whites together. The blacks from the same cables were also connected to the top poles I would bet

Customer:

yes sir they were.

Customer:

All right! I wish i would have paid more attention in electrical theory class in nuclear power school!! thanks, XXXXX XXXXX go give it a whirl

electrifier :

Blacks go to switches and whites wirenut together so connect the 2 whites that came off the switch. The other whites are already connected

electrifier :

It is really simple. Your electrical theory class would not have helped you with this

electrifier :

I'm going to dinner. Whites are neutrals and don't get switched. blacks get switched. It's really simple.

Customer:

you still around?

Customer:

i wired it up like we talked about (or so i think) and the top switch works, however, the bottom switch (the pump originally controlled by the 4 pole switch) wont work.

Customer:

I've tried everything. Thanks for the help.

electrifier, Master Electrician
Experience: Electrical contractor and electrical inspector for over 24 years with phone and networking expertise