Rick
Rick, Master Electrician
Experience:  10 yrs as a electrician. Have my own company.
69082490

I replaced an old Levitron 3 way dimmer with a Pass & Seymour

I replaced an old Levitron 3 way dimmer with a Pass & Seymour Harmony 3-way. The circuit is for kitchen can lights. The wiring is 1 red and 2 black. I wired the new dimmer with the blacks as the travelers and the red as source. With the old dimmer the other rocker switch worked fine. Now, however, it only works when the dimmer is on. The dimmer seems to be working fine. I am stumped.

Rick :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to answer any of your electrical questions.

Rick :

On the switch you have 1 red and 2 blacks? What color are the wires coming from your home to the switch?

Customer:

Those are the colors from the home. The new dimmer has no wires - just place the ends of the wires in holes and tighten a screw.

Rick :

What color are the screws on the dimmer?

Customer:

Let me check

Customer:

Dimmer image with screw colors
Full Size Image

Customer:

That is an image from the install directions

Customer:

I put the red on the black and the 2 blacks on the gold ones

Rick :

Take the red and black wires that are coming from the same cable (romex) and put them on the gold screws. Put the other wire, that's either coming from a separate cable or from a bundle of black wires on the black screw.

Customer:

OK - I'll give that a shot.Thanks

Rick :

No problem. Please rate once you have it set. If you need further help, I'll be here for you.

Customer:

I will - thanks again

Rick :

No problem. Thank you