AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

I am having issues with my front outside light. When I went

I am having issues with my front outside light. When I went to hook it up, I took voltage readings and got 114 power hot to neutral and hot to ground, but got 36 volts neutral to ground. I traced everything back through the circuit to the breaker and cannot find where I am picking up voltage on the neutral...help!
As a result, I can't get the front light to light...
thanks
Ed [email protected]
Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

When measurements indicate voltage on the neutral, that represents a loose connection in the circuit.

All connection/tap points need to be checked and possibly remade.

Power flows out on the Hot wire and then returns on the neutral back to the utility transformer.
A simple loose connection will drive the neutral up from 0 volts because the current is unable to fully return.

This happens quite often, especially when there are receptacles on the circuit and they are wired with the push in back connections.
The side screws will eliminate most of these issues on receptacles and switches.

Light taps with the neutrals, must have a good copper to copper connection with no corrosion also.

If you have several weak point connections, they will add up to a largher issue when together and cause this problem.

Hope that gives the details, just reply for any additional.
Thanks