AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade

In late 2010 I equipped my non-profit art gallery with several

In late 2010 I equipped my non-profit art gallery with several Sylvania LEDs, type LED15PAR30LNDIM830FL40. Model Number78639.
Recently about six units have not switched on when the track has been switched on; after some time, some of these units come on but not all.
The circuits have Lutron DVLV-600P dimmers.
Can you explain this situation, given that the life expectancy of the LEDs is about 8 years in this installation?

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

I have checked the specifications on the equipment listed.

What you have is a mis-matched system

The LED lamps are 120 volt LEDS and are designed to be dimmable.

The Lutron dimmer however, is designed specifically for use on core and coil (magnetic) low-voltage transformers

The dimmers are not designed to work with LED, or any other lamps besides the low voltage magnetic transformers.

So, the dimmers are chopping up the voltage to the lamps in an entirely different way than would a dimmer designed for LED.

CLICK HERE and you can see the full Lutron page for dimmers. They are grouped into the appropriate categories for which they were designed.

The Dimmable Light Emitting Diodes (LED) category would have ones suited for the application.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, Tommy;

I followed up with a call to Lutron and discovered that although they had recommended the DVLV-600P dimmer for my set-up when I first installed the Sylvania LEDs, they no longer recommend any of their dimmers for that particular unit, even the newly designed LED-specific ones! Seems that both LED and dimmer technologies have moved ahead of my stuff.

I did learn that some LEDs have a habit of quitting if they are turned off when in a dimmed state, then may or may not recover. I will ask Sylvania for replacements under warranty if any units quit for good.

Thanks; Mike...