AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade

I am installing a ceiling fan with a remote control. I have

I am installing a ceiling fan with a remote control. I have wired it according to the instructions, and had changed the switch from a dimmer switch to an on/off type switch. when I attempt to operate the fan, all I get is a slight clicking sound. No fan, lights or anything. Is this a defective fan, or did I do something incorrectly? It is a new, Allen-Roth Mazon fan.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 6 months ago.

AssuredElectrical :

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

What wires do you have in the ceiling box? How did you connect the fan to those wires?

JACUSTOMER-1y7lk8l0- :

Red, White, Black, and bare ground wires are coming from the ceiling. Black wire from the house was connected to the Red wire on the receiver. White wire from house was connected to white on receiver. Green wire from receiver was connected to ground.

AssuredElectrical :

Can you remove the wall switch and see what color wires are on the screws?

JACUSTOMER-1y7lk8l0- :

Red, black and ground

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, is there just one black wire in the ceiling? or more than 1?

JACUSTOMER-1y7lk8l0- :

Just the one.

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, I would first, remove the black wire from the receiver and cap it off, then connect the red wire in the ceiling to the receiver

AssuredElectrical :

the manual shows the receiver with black, and white for power, your receiver has red and white?

JACUSTOMER-1y7lk8l0- :

yes

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, connect the red in the ceiling to the red on the receiver.

AssuredElectrical :

that will allow the wall switch to turn power off if wanted

JACUSTOMER-1y7lk8l0- :

Okay, I'll give it a shot.

AssuredElectrical :

look at the forward reverse switch also, make sure it is seated to one side or the other and not in the middle

AssuredElectrical :

your dip switches can also be middle way, be sure they are seated to the proper side and matching, I am sure you already did this, but like to be sure

JACUSTOMER-1y7lk8l0- :

I checked all that, rewired; capped the black wire from the house, and am still getting clicking from the fan.

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, would you happen to have a voltage meter?

JACUSTOMER-1y7lk8l0- :

No, it was stolen, along with most of my tools not long ago.

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, that fan doesnt have any pull chains, is that correct?

JACUSTOMER-1y7lk8l0- :

No chains, just the remote for operation

AssuredElectrical :

Ok

JACUSTOMER-1y7lk8l0- :

Since I don't have a white wire at the switch, should I connect the red and the black to the receiver?

AssuredElectrical :

well, sounds like a bad receiver. Without a voltage tester, you can do this to be sure it is the receiver and the fan is good. Disconnect the receiver completely from all wires, connect the red in the ceiling to the blue on the fan, connect the white in the ceiling to the white on the fan. Then the switch should turn on the light

AssuredElectrical :

No, switches do not use a white wire, that is neutral

JACUSTOMER-1y7lk8l0- :

ok

AssuredElectrical :

lets connect it direct for test

JACUSTOMER-1y7lk8l0- :

ok

AssuredElectrical :

thanks

JACUSTOMER-1y7lk8l0- :

Okay, I directly wired it, and the light worked. Bad receiver?

AssuredElectrical :

That is what it looks like. You verified the dip switches, verified the forward reverse switch and you had it wired correctly. You just eliminated the fan as the problem, so only item left is the receiver. The clicking sounds like it tries but doesnt make inside.

JACUSTOMER-1y7lk8l0- :

And THAT is the story of my life.

AssuredElectrical :

Should be able to just return the receiver only.

AssuredElectrical :

Was it from a big chain store?

JACUSTOMER-1y7lk8l0- :

Lowes

AssuredElectrical :

Yea, they will take the receiver only and swap out. Done that with them, they are pretty good on failure replacements

AssuredElectrical :

Take the remote too, they are usually a matched set

JACUSTOMER-1y7lk8l0- :

Okay, I will head down there and give it a go.

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, , you remote battery is good , correct? new also?

JACUSTOMER-1y7lk8l0- :

The whole thing was brand new.

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, sometimes new batteries dont have proper voltages

JACUSTOMER-1y7lk8l0- :

New house, new fans. I had installed two different ones already, and had no issues.

AssuredElectrical :

just double checking

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, new receiver should get it going

JACUSTOMER-1y7lk8l0- :

Okay, back from Lowes, all went well. I am a little nervous now as to how to wire this up. HOw should I connect the red and white on the receiver? I have the red, white, and black coming from the ceiling? Do I cap the black one, and just stick it back in the box?

AssuredElectrical :

The red wire is coming from the switch, so you need to connect the red receiver to red at the ceiling. Then the white to white. Cap the black wire off, usually they were used for a second switch if installed or hot all the time.

AssuredElectrical :

Be sure the black wire on the output side connects to the black on the fan wires. Blue is for the light. Dont want to cross those up because of the remote operation and fan speeds.

JACUSTOMER-1y7lk8l0- :

Okay, going to give it a go now. I'll let you know how it works

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, will be away for a bit here shortly but post anyway if I am not online.

JACUSTOMER-1y7lk8l0- :

Switch wiring
Full Size Image
This is my wiring at the switch. I am wondering if I need to put one of the white wires in the switch as the white wire is connected to the fan. I put everything back together, as per directions, and it did the same thing. Just clicking. No lights.

AssuredElectrical :

The white wires pass through the switch, and do not connect to the switch, that would be a direct short and blow the breaker.

JACUSTOMER-1y7lk8l0- :

Okay. I am stumped, and am out of ideas

AssuredElectrical :

Yiuy connected it straight through earlier and the light worked, which shows the wiring is correct witht he red and white at the ceiling box.

AssuredElectrical :

Something odd is taking place here, so lets try to narrow it down.

AssuredElectrical :

Disconnect the black wire on the fan from the black on the receiver. Then try the light with the remote.

JACUSTOMER-1y7lk8l0- :

ok

AssuredElectrical :

First, do this

AssuredElectrical :

Remove the battery from the remote. Turn on the switch to the fan. Wait 1 min, then insert the battery back in the remote.

AssuredElectrical :

If the switch is on right now, turn it off first.

AssuredElectrical :

When you first try the remote, hold the light button for a longer period, do not just push and let go of the button

JACUSTOMER-1y7lk8l0- :

Black wire disconnected. No response

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, lets verify something:

On one side of the receiver, there is a red and white wire.

On the opposite side, there is a black, blue and white.

On one side, You have the red connected to the ceiling red. The white connected to the ceiling white.

On the other side, the black connects to the fan black, the blue connects to the fan blue and the white connects
to the fan white.

Is all that correct?

JACUSTOMER-1y7lk8l0- :

Yes

AssuredElectrical :

They gave you a new receiver and a new remote, correct?

JACUSTOMER-1y7lk8l0- :

Yes

AssuredElectrical :

What is the dip switch setting on the receiver?

JACUSTOMER-1y7lk8l0- :

1,2 up, 3,4 down on both the receiver and the remote

AssuredElectrical :

ok

AssuredElectrical :

do this once more, I know it is aggravating, but something is truly odd

AssuredElectrical :

Disconnect the receiver again, connect the ceiling red to the fan black and blue. Connect the ceiling white to the fan white. Lets see if the fan and light come on with the light switch.

AssuredElectrical :

If they do, something is not letting the remote work when connected to power

JACUSTOMER-1y7lk8l0- :

okay.

AssuredElectrical :

thanks

JACUSTOMER-1y7lk8l0- :

That worked. The fan and the light both came on

AssuredElectrical :

ok

AssuredElectrical :

I have never seen a remote receiver that fails when it is connected to a fan like this. I find it hard to believe that 2 new ones are bad. There is a way to test them, but you need a meter to connect to the wires.

AssuredElectrical :

Apparently, for some reason, when the fan has a remote connected, it is killing the receiver. Only thing that is possible as I see it

AssuredElectrical :

The black and white wires on the receiver, they are Labeled correct? they have a label AC on them?

AssuredElectrical :

sorry, red and white

JACUSTOMER-1y7lk8l0- :

yes, White labeled AC IN N, and Red labeled AC IN L

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, just making sure they didnt build an odd receiver, so that is correct.

AssuredElectrical :

If you had a meter, you could connect the receiver to power and leave it unconnected on the other 3 wires. Then measure those when using the remote to see if it works without being connected to the fan. That just proves whether the remote is good or not. If it is, it still fails when connected to the fan.

JACUSTOMER-1y7lk8l0- :

I found a voltage detector in a drawer. Will that suffice?

AssuredElectrical :

if it works it should. You put it on the black or blue wire when you turn on the remote. But if it works disconnected, we know it wont when connected.

AssuredElectrical :

If the receiver is good, Something is killing the receiver switching. Makes no sense, but it is happening.

AssuredElectrical :

There is no logical reason for it to shutdown when connected, unless something inside the fan is shutting it down.

AssuredElectrical :

The remote came inside the same box as the fan, is that correct?

JACUSTOMER-1y7lk8l0- :

Yes.

AssuredElectrical :

Maybe they had a batch of remotes put inside the fan boxes that went to another fan? Thses fans only operate with the factory boxed remotes

JACUSTOMER-1y7lk8l0- :

Two of them? Lowes gave me the receiver/remote out of a new one with a different finish (same model) when I went back earlier.

AssuredElectrical :

There is no logical reason for it not to work if it is the matched remote and receiver for that model.

AssuredElectrical :

Has to be a factory issue inside the fan that it does not communicate with the receiver. Either that or incorrect remotes in the boxes.

AssuredElectrical :

Only 2 options

AssuredElectrical :

Fan and light works direct powered

AssuredElectrical :

Only thing the remote does, is switch the power for you, no difference than you flipping the switch on the wall

JACUSTOMER-1y7lk8l0- :

The remote controls fan speeds. If it weren't for that, I would be fine with it being switch controlled.

AssuredElectrical :

Yea, the fan communicates with the receiver so that it can change speeds. Wall switch just tells it full speed.

AssuredElectrical :

It is the oddest one I have seen in 40 years. Installed hundreds of fans.

AssuredElectrical :

These specific matched receivers, they kinda get you on them and cannot just use an off the shelf unit

AssuredElectrical :

Hunter and Mink Aire has them too

JACUSTOMER-1y7lk8l0- :

I just installed two Harbor Breeze fans, all the parts look exactly the same. No issues with them. I have one more to hang and am afraid now. :(

AssuredElectrical :

One like this one? or different brand?

JACUSTOMER-1y7lk8l0- :

The problem one is Allen-Roth, the functioning ones are Harbor Breeze

AssuredElectrical :

Harbor Breeze is Lowes brand fans. I have them in my home. Never had an issue as yet on them. Seems the big name gut=ys have the problems.

AssuredElectrical :

well, you have done it all correct and it just will not work with the remote, . To me it is in the fan communications with the receiver

JACUSTOMER-1y7lk8l0- :

I am wondering if it is maybe the receiver and remotes from the other fans are causing interference?

AssuredElectrical :

shouldnt be, different frequencies. Just turn the others off and they cannot interfere even if they were

AssuredElectrical :

They communicate just like cell phones, one frequency to the fan will work only. And then you have dip switches to separate 2 fans of the same model so they work separately on remotes

AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience: Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade