Steve G., Electrical Engineer
Experience:  Spent 20 years as an Electrical Engineer, designing electrical plans and specifications.
329447

I have a 14/2 wire connected to lights in basement. I bought

I have a 14/2 wire connected to lights in basement. I bought a light fixture that has a 18awg wire. What size wire can I connect to the light fixture and then to the 14/2 basement circuit? Total watts light fixture is 50 watt bulbs time 6 of them so 300watts. This is on a 120volt house electric. i have 12/2 now was tyhinking using just so thick wire.thanks david
Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

Now..Is the fixture UL listed? Look for a UL sticker on the fixture, it's usually gold or white or red in color.

Please let me know so that we can continue.

Regards
Steve
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, yes it is says luminaire issue no m-232,638

Then you are fine. Ir is common for fixtures to have smaller gauge wiring in them. I just wanted to check that it was UL listed as there are a lot of Chinese light fixtures that can be purchased online these days and some of them probably aren't that safe.

Your 14/2 wiring is fine as is 12/2.

I'll be here if you need further help with this issue. Please let me know.

Regards

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok thanks anything else should know.

Make sure the fixture is grounded. That's about it.

I'll be here if you need further help. Please do not forget to rate my service.

Regards.

Steve