AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

I have two switches in a box - one controls my garbage disposal

I have two switches in a box - one controls my garbage disposal and the other controls a
fluorescent light over my kitchen sink. the disposal works fine but the fluorescent light does
not work. I have replaced both the switch that controls the light and the breaker that controls both devices. With the breaker on, there is voltage to the switch that controls the
garbage disposal, but no voltage to the light switch. What are the possibilities as to why
there is no voltage to the light switch?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

AssuredElectrical :

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

Can you pull the switch from the wall, then look at the 2 wires attached. Follow each one to see where they go, either to wires in the box or into cables leaving the box? Post information and we can begin working to resolve the situation, thanks

Customer:

One wire is common to both switches -the other two wires are separate and go to each of the switches.

AssuredElectrical :

Thanks. Where doe the wire that is common to both go? Does it connect to the other switch? go in the box and connect to other wires? Go into a cable and leave the box? The specifics is needed, thanks

Customer:

the cable that is common to both switches goes into a cable and leaves the box

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, so one wire from each switch, connects to a common wire that goes into a cable leaving the box? Is that correct?

AssuredElectrical :

The 3 wires are connected together with a wire nut? correct?

Customer:

yes, that is correct

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, thanks. Need to turn off the breaker, remove both switches from the wall box so you have access to the wire nut. Remove the wire nut and remake the connection of all 3 wires. Make sure there is plenty of copper showing on each, twist the 3 together tight, then apply the wire nut. That should restore power to the light switch since they are common on that one wire.

Customer:

OK I will do that - is there any possibilities that it could be some other problem?

AssuredElectrical :

You have a voltage meter, is that correct? and the problem is voltage to the switch? not that the light just is not working, but specifically voltage to the switch, correct.

Customer:

Yes, that is correct.

AssuredElectrical :

If the light is not working, it could also be the white wires in the box that are all connected together. The white is the other side of the 120 volts needed. But if it is just power to the switch missing, then the only possibility is the connection under that wire nut on the 3 black wires.

Customer:

Ok - thanks for your help

AssuredElectrical :

your most welcome, glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience: Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade