Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  27 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector

I am trying to install you ti033-3w on a 3 way switch. I am

I am trying to install you ti033-3w on a 3 way switch. I am having a difficult time with the electrical terminology. I have a bare copper (ground?)wire, a red wire and two black wires.
your instruction comment on only 3 wires. your instructions talk about a "common" wireis that the black wire connected to the darker screw? if so does it matter which of the wires you label as 1 and 2 are connected to the red and black wires... If so what do I do with the bare copper wire connected to a green screw ?
note that both switches have the same configurartio
thank you
alan tedeschi
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Hello Alan.....my name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!

1) Are you replacing (2) two existing 3-way switches or is this a new wiring installation?

2) 3-way switches will each have (1) one black screw which is the common screw and (2) two brass screws which are for the traveler wires and (1) one green screw which is for the grounding connection.

3) The bare copper conductor gets connected to the green grounding screw.

4) Are the 3-ways used for switching a lighting fixture or switching a wall receptacle?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks Kevin.
I am replacing one of the 3 way switches with an AUBE ti032-3w programmable switch(not ti033). The new switch(aube) has only three black wires labelled c, 1, 2. The directions seem clear, but no mention of the 4th wire(bare copper wire that I assume is the ground and that my old switches have (alsoas and as you describe).
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Do not understand question 4
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

1) Thank you for the replies

2) Have you disconnected the wires from the existing 3-way switch that you would like to replace with the programmable?

3) A 3-way switch can either be used to control a lighting fixture from 2 locations or can be used to turn ON/OFF a wall receptacle from 2 locations. I assume your application is being used to control a light?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
You're assumption is correct
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.
1) Have you disconnected the wires from the existing 3-way switch that you would like to replace with the programmable?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No but I can do that quickly.
I really do not know what to do with that ground wire on the old switches
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

1) Prior to disconnecting the wires, 1st turn the circuit breaker to OFF

2) Located on the existing 3-way, you will have (1) one black screw, (2) two brass screws and (1) one green screw. The black screw is the common terminal and the 2 brass screws are for the traveler wires. The green screw is for the ground wire.

3) Remove (1) one wire at a time from the old switch and replace with the appropriate color wire onto the new programmable switch

4) The wire marked as "C" is the common wire and this gets spliced to the wire that was on the black screw of the existing switch.

It is important that you wire the correct house wire to the new switch "C" wire.

5) The other two wires marked as "1 and 2" are for the traveler wires. One of these wires will get spliced to one of the wires that you removed from the brass screw. The 2nd wire will get spliced to the other wire that you removed from the brass screw.

6) I am looking at the installation directions and they do not mention a ground wire on the programmable switch. The diagrams do not show a ground wire so I assume there is no ground screw or ground wire on the new switch.

If your wall box is a metal box, terminate the bare copper ground wire into the threaded hole located in the back of the metal box and use a green grounding screw.

If your wall box is a PVC, you may have other bare copper ground wires. If so, splice all the bare copper ground wires together.

Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience: 27 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks Kevin that makes sense even to an amateur like me. You think they would include that info in the instructions.
Alan
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.
1) Yes, I hear you on that Alan....... the instructions could be better written.
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Alan...........Thank you for the excellent service rating as well as the bonus......much appreciated!

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Take care and have a great weekend.............Thanks.............Kevin!