Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

I bought a home and it has several ceiling fans. Three of the

I bought a home and it has several ceiling fans. Three of the four fans only work on one speed. All of the fans have pull chains and the on/off works on all fans. All fans have lights and they all work fine. I have always had fans that have three speeds. How can I tell if the fans have a one speed switch or if the switch is defective and if so how can I change the switch to make these fans , low-med and high? I have the stats on one fan, a Hunter Mod # XXXXX What do you think?

Jason :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Jason :

I just looked up the manual, and found that your fans should have 3 speeds, as ceiling fans typically do.

Jason :

This could be a problem with the pull chain switches. Or, it could be a capacitor problem.

Jason :

If it does end up being a capacitor problem, I would probably just replace the fans... as finding and purchasing the proper capacitor can be as time consuming as installing a new fan.

Jason :

There is one site that has a vast supply of various capacitors. You can find them here.

Jason :

Their phone number is XXXXX979-553-3260.

Jason :

The name of the company is Gulf Fans, and they are located in Texas.

Jason :

If it's a switch problem, you can easily replace the switches yourself, usually with minimal disassembly.

Jason :

Once you get the existing switches out, just make sure the wire that is on a terminal marked "L" gets landed in the correct location on the new switch.

Jason :

Ideally, you should move one wire at a time from the old switch to the new.

Jason :

The wire connected to "L" is the constantly hot power feed into the switch.

Jason :

The other 3 wires are speed tap wires, for setting the various speeds of the fan blades.

Jason :

If you want to get the exact same switches as the originals, those can be sourced from the same company that sells the capacitors.

Jason :

Once you get a new 3 speed switch in hand, I will be happy to walk you through replacing the old ones.

Jason :

If you want to test the operation of the 3 speed switches and/or the fans, we can do that with an Ohm meter, and by touching the switch leads to each other, after removing them from the switch.

Jason :

If you touch the wire connected to "L" to each of the other wires, one at a time, you should be able to see 3 distinct speeds in the rotation of the motor, if the fan is working properly and the switch is the problem.

Jason :

We can also read through the switch with a meter set to Ohms or continuity.

Jason :

That is, after removing all wires from the switch.