Steve G., Electrical Engineer
Experience:  Spent 20 years as an Electrical Engineer, designing electrical plans and specifications.

I have an electrical outlet that I no longer need due to relocating

I have an electrical outlet that I no longer need due to relocating a pantry/closet. I discovered that the outlet is tied in to several light switches and the microwave, so I need the connection to still be there. Is there a way to keep the connection and just hide it in the wall? If I am thinking correctly, can't I connect the whites together with a wire nut and the blacks together with a wire nut and just hide it in a box behind the sheetrock?
Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

Per code, any wall box, especially one with wires that are spliced together with wire nuts has to be accessible if you want to meet code. You can provide a blank cover plate so that you have access to that wiring in the future.

Of course, you are free to do what you want if you are not having the work inspected. Just be aware it is not permitted by code.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That did not answer my question. I need to know if I put the white wires together, the black wires together, and THEN hide it in a box with a face plate.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can I get a response to my reply please?

Yes, if you are removing the receptacle that has two wires in and two wires out, you would splice the blacks together and splice the whites together.

I'll be here if you need further help.