AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade

I am installing a recessed outlet to be hidden behind and to

I am installing a recessed outlet to be hidden behind and to power a wall-mounted LCD TV. The TV location is on the opposite side (i.e. den side) of a short kitchen wall on our main floor. Through drop down panels in the basement, I can easily access the joists below this location and can fish the new romex to the new location.

For ease of access & proximity, I would like to splice the new TV outlet romex into an existing circuit(s) that supplies kitchen counter outlets (for small appliances). The existing circuit, which was installed during a kitchen renovation approximately 12 years ago, specifically consists of:

1. A single 12/3 romex that runs from the electrical panel. At the panel, the black and red conductors each tie into their own single 20amp breakers. The two breakers are located on the same right side of the panel but straddling an unrelated breaker (i.e. the two breakers are in location 18B and location 20B; location 20A is used by another 12/3 kitchen circuit).

2. Approximately 25’ from the panel, the single 12/3 romex is then spliced with two 12/2 romex cables in a PVC junction box. The black conductor from one 12/2 cable is connected to the red conductor from the 12/3. The other 12/2 cable’s black conductor is connected to the 12/3’s black conductor. All 3 white conductors are joined together; likewise, the 3 ground wires are joined together. Wire nuts are used for the connections.

3. One of the 12/2 cables then supplies 2 kitchen counter outlets on the right side of the sink while the other 12/2 cable supplies 2 outlets on the left side of the sink. The first outlet in each branch is a GFCI outlet. All of the 4 outlets appear to be 15 amp outlets.

My thought was to splice insert the TV’s outlet into one of the 12/2 branches. I would add a junction box (actually two in order to insert some slack into the existing 12/2 line) between the GFCI outlet and the second outlet on one of the 12/2 branches. I would use 12/2 romex for the cable between this new junction and my new TV outlet.

Is this as straight forward as I’m trying to make it?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 9 months ago.

AssuredElectrical :

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

You stated" I would add a junction box (actually two in order to insert some slack into the existing 12/2 line) between the GFCI outlet and the second outlet on one of the 12/2 branches"

AssuredElectrical :

It sounds like you are getting power from the GFCI itself before it gets to the 2nd receptacle. I would want it before the GFCI

AssuredElectrical :

The TV does not need to be GFCI protected

Customer:

I understand; I wasn't really trying to provide that protection to the TV.

AssuredElectrical :

Now, with that said, one thing to know, is the kitchen is supposed to have 2 circuits for the counter tops with nothing else on them, that is code today. Your addition will work, but wanted you to be aware of requirements.

AssuredElectrical :

If you have 3 circuits now on the kitchen receptacles, then you will still be in compliance

Customer:

I assume that it would be better to add a junction box on one of the 12/2 legs (and prior to the GFCI) rather than just splicing my new romex into the existing junction (i.e. with the 12/3 and existing 12/2 legs).

AssuredElectrical :

you could wire directly into the existing junction box

AssuredElectrical :

no reason to add a box unless there is no room for additional wiring, too cramped or something

Customer:

Plenty of room in the existing PVC box; I just didn't know if it was an issue with the 12/3 setup.

AssuredElectrical :

no, it is no problem and perfectly fine. That 12/3 setup is called a MWBC, multi wire branch circuit. Where you use a single neutral to supply to circuits.

AssuredElectrical :

The neutral is shared with the 2 hot wires.

AssuredElectrical :

Saves on initial wiring costs

Customer:

So I would have 2 black from 2 of the 12/2 (including my new romex) joined to black of the 12/3; 1 black from the other 12/2 joined with red of the 12/3; all 4 whites joined and all 4 grounds joined. Correct?

AssuredElectrical :

Your new romex would connect: Black to EITHER the black from the 12/3 or to the red of the 12/3. Not both. (unsure if that is what you mean?)

AssuredElectrical :

all whites are together and grounds also, yes

Customer:

Correct. I correct the new 12/2 black to either the 12/3 red or 12/3 black. Thank you for your help.

AssuredElectrical :

yes, you have it. you are most welcome, glad to assist

AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience: Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade