AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

Light in bathroom is pull chain and the electric source is

Light in bathroom is pull chain and the electric source is at the light. I want to install a single pole switch and a GFCI. Looking at the diagram from 4 years ago, it appears to be the answer, but it does not specify existing electricity source (light or switch). Would I be correct to use the answer from 4 years ago with electricity source being at the light? Thanks.

AssuredElectrical :

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

Can you post how you wired the light to the switch combo unit? Power is at the light and ran a new cable to the switch combo, correct? A 14/3 with ground cable?

AssuredElectrical :

Or is it 2 separate items, one switch and one receptacle?

Customer:

Sorry for the delay in responding. There are two white and two black wires feeding the light. I threw away the sketch I did to use for wiring it and have already covered the light area where I connected. I'd have to open the light back up and right now there are other workers doing a bath tub enclosure install in there and I can't get to it. But basically, I wired the separate GCFI and separate light switch as if there were subsequent/multiple outlets and "jumped" from the switch to the outlet. I also used a white or neutral wire as a live line into the light. I think it is all screwed up.

Customer:

Also, if you could tell me how to do it from scratch from the light, I can re-do it. It will just be later this week before I can get back to it.

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, let me put a diagram together and post for you to look at for questions. Give me just a min to complete

Customer:

Thanks.

AssuredElectrical :

no problem

AssuredElectrical :

Full Size Image

AssuredElectrical :

I assumed the switch and receptacle were in the same box. If they are in 2 separate boxes let me know and I can modify.

Customer:

They are in the same box. What is the red wire? It would help me understand which wires are white and black. I understand about connecting the ground. Thanks.

AssuredElectrical :

The red wire is what is in a 3 wire cable. 3 wire cable has a red, black,white and ground.

AssuredElectrical :

The white is more of a gray in the diagram, because white doesnt show in a white background

AssuredElectrical :

If you only have 2 wire cable with black and white, then wire it up with the below diagram. You have to run 2 cables with htis setup.

Full Size Image

Customer:

Thank you! I get it now.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have reviewed the answer and thanked you.

Thank you for the rating, it is appreciated.