AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

My model 1275 will not stop chirping inside the wall. No longer

My model 1275 will not stop chirping inside the wall. No longer need a hardwired unit so how do I disconnect entirely?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

AssuredElectrical :

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

You want to do away with the 1275? It still has a battery inside for backup, it may need changing, have you tried a new battery by chance?

AssuredElectrical :

If you wish to remove it, you will twist it until it pulls downward, usually about 1/3 of a turn to release it from the bracket. Then it will have a plug on the back, unplug the unit where the plug is and you can just put the plug and all back inside the box if you wish. dont have to unwire the plug. Remove the bracket and then use a blank cover to cover the openeing.

AssuredElectrical :

To replace the battery, remove the alarm from the trim ring by rotating the alarm in the direction of the
“OFF” arrow on the cover . To disconnect the A.C. power harness, squeeze the
locking arms on the sides of the Quick Connector while pulling the connector away from the bottom of
the alarm .
BATTERY INSTALLATION AND REMOVAL
To replace or install the batteries, you must first remove the alarm from the trim ring by following the
ALARM REMOVAL instructions at the beginning of this section. After alarm has been removed, you can
open the battery door and install or replace the battery. Battery installation instructions are provided on
the inside of the battery door.
When installing the battery, press the battery reminder finger down into the battery compartment and
install the battery

AssuredElectrical :

Please just reply for any clarification or other needs, thanks

Customer:

Yes, replaced backup battery with new one and still chirps inside ceiling. Unplugged from bracket and still chirps inside ceiling. Behind trim ring find wiring coming from a junction box and chirping from behind junction box. Totally confusing.

AssuredElectrical :

Yes, that is very odd if the detector is unplugged and removed.

AssuredElectrical :

Only items that chirps are fire and smoke alarms themselves, possible another one in the area?

Customer:

There is a non-hardwired unit within ten feet installed by the security company. They checked it and it is operating properly so desire to disconnect this unit that is quite possibly 20 plus years old.

AssuredElectrical :

Yes, they are supposed to be changed at the latest 10 years.

AssuredElectrical :

If you have one in its place, you could disconnect and leave it off. Be sure you have the needed coverage in the area.

Customer:

I have very good coverage and it should be removed so how do I disconnect and do away with the chirping in the ceiling?

AssuredElectrical :

From what you stated, the chirping is not coming from the smoke detector.

AssuredElectrical :

Wires do not chirp. So if you remove the smoke detector and unplug it and remove the battery from it, it is not what is chirping.

Customer:

not coming from the smoke detector. Have it in hand and it's not making a sound. All chirping coming from ceiling.

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, maybe a bathroom exhaust fan, the pipe can make noises with wind.

AssuredElectrical :

Or even a furnace duct to the roof.

AssuredElectrical :

The exhaust on a furnace or water heater goes to the roof, possibly one of them is creating the noise.

Customer:

nope, standing right next to the junction box and can clearly hear the chirp. So, again how do I disconnect the powered unit entirely?

AssuredElectrical :

you did already when you unplugged it, there is only power at the box and to do away with it, you would have to shutoff the breaker at the panel and that would probably turn off other items as well.

Customer:

Guess that I need to hire an electrician to shut it off. Goodbye.

AssuredElectrical :

with some help, would think you could find the breaker for the circuit. and then verify if other items are on the same breaker

AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience: Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade