Steve G., Electrical Engineer
Experience:  27 years in Electrical Engineering, designing electrical plans and specifications.

I have one switch in my bathroom that turns on both the light

I have one switch in my bathroom that turns on both the light and the fan I'm trying to hook up a combination to switch instead of the one that's in there how do i hook it up in the wall there is two blacks to whites and the two whites are connected together with the wire nut and the two blacks were in the one switch
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Steve G. replied 10 months ago.
Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

Now..just to be clear - you want to put two switches in there and control the fan separately?

Please let me know so that we can continue.

Regards
Steve
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

yes with a combination two switches

Ok, based on your description of the wiring at the wall switch, you can't do this without running another pair of wires from the box to the fan/light.

You only have one switched wire up to the fan/light.

I can help you do this but you will need to pull another pair of wires.

Please let me know so that we can continue if necessary.

Regards
Steve
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

okay what do I do

Assuming that your lighting is protected by a 15A breaker, you can use 14-2 romex wiring. What you would do is run a length from the switch box up to the fan/light.

You want to leave about a foot extra at each end.

I can then provide a quick sketch for you showing how to connect the switches and the fan/light.

Give me 20 minutes to upload that for you.

Steve
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

okay thank you

Here is a down and dirty sketch.

Please let me know if you need help with it. I did not show ground wires. Make sure you ground the new switch and the fan/light.

>>CLICK FOR SKETCH<<

Regards
Steve
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

is it possible for me to send you a picture of the switch that I bought?

Sure. You can post it here using the paper lip icon or you can email it toXXX@XXXXXX.XXX marked for my attention.

What is your concern about the switch?it should have two terminals and a ground screw.

Let me know.

Steve.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I bought 1 switch that have to switch is on it

I'm sorry. I am not quite following you. Can you repeat that last message. I don't understand what it is you are trying to tell me.

Regards

Steve
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

the switch that is in the wall right now has a 1 switch box.I bought a 1 box switch that has two switches on it

Ok. The wiring is no different to what I showed you. You would need to pull out the old switch and box an install the new one.

Make sure you kill power to that circuit and verify it with a voltage tester.

I'll be here.

Steve.
Steve G., Electrical Engineer
Experience: 27 years in Electrical Engineering, designing electrical plans and specifications.