AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

120VAC duplex outlets in exterior furnace room need to be GFI

120VAC duplex outlets in exterior furnace room need to be GFI type? I have a building inspector coming over in a few day for a tankless water heater install. Previously this room had a splice from an adjacent interior wall outlet for the furnace only. I placed a typical 3 wire duplex outlet (non GFI) for the water heater only. On a different permit will do the furnace install and should cover a dedicated outlet. The exterior room is a normal door to a small room that houses the water heater and central forced air furnace only. It has sheetrock walls and a wood floor. I know stuff like roof snow melting equipment is exempt from GFI outlets. And bathrooms are specified for GFI only. How about the exterior furnace room?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 11 months ago.

AssuredElectrical :

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

Can you be a little more specific? You are going to add a circuit to the furnace room on your upgrade?

AssuredElectrical :

This will be a receptacle?

AssuredElectrical :

For the furnace?

AssuredElectrical :

Can you see the main panel from the furnace?

AssuredElectrical :

If you can post the details when you return, it would be appreciated. Thanks.

AssuredElectrical :

Now, if the room is only entered from an outside door, it sounds like the furnace is not within sight of the panel. So, in that case, you need to install a circuit to the furnace along with a switch in the room to turn the furnace off for maintenance. You would not install a receptacle for the furnace to plug in, but the switch would be used in this case. Then if there is a receptacle in the room also, that receptacle needs to be GFCI since the receptacle would be for utility use and most likely hand tools etc. The furnace is not required to be GFCI protected itself. Circuit to furnace room to a switch, from switch to furnace, so no receptacle is between.

Customer:

Hi Tommy, Thanks for responding to my question. Presently I am installing a gas tankless water heater (that takes very little power). In the future will get another permit and install a high efficiency furnace. It will require about 14A per the manufacture. I assume it will need a dedicated line. Formerly there was a tap off an interior wall outlet wired to a wall switch and then the furnace (a lower electrical power antique). The water heater manufacture supplies a typical corded 3 prong power plug and mentions duplex wall outlet. Presently I have used the old furnace power wire and installed a plastic box and basic duplex outlet (has ground connected) in the sheetrock. The wall switch has been removed. For the future furnace install can use a wall switch as you mention. The main panel is opposite the building and is not visible from the room. I am very happy with your answer so far!

AssuredElectrical :

Thanks for the extra information.

Customer:

Okay, so I think the question has been answered. I'm ready to exit the chat.

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, glad to assist. Anything else pops keep me in mind

AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience: Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade