Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 45 years Experience

I bought an attic fan to install on my outside vent in the

I bought an attic fan to install on my outside vent in the attic and discovered that it was to be installed in the ceiling to draw up into the attic. Attaching it to the outside vent means that it must turn in the opposite direction. Can it be rewired to run in the reverse direction?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

Jason :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Jason :

Thank you for requesting me to answer your question.

Jason :

Typically, these small fans can't be reversed by changing wiring connections.

Jason :

However, you may be able to reverse rotation by taking it apart and flipping the stator around.

Jason :

The stator is the stationary component that the rotor spins inside of.

Jason :

Or, you may be able to take the fan blade off and turn it around.

Jason :

That would work the same way was reversing rotation.

Jason :

...same way as reversing rotation (typo)

Customer:

Reversing the fan blade does not reverse the air flow. The motor has an externally mounted capacitor but I'm not sure how the wires are connected internally based on their colors. The label says the white is common, the black is high and the red is low (there is a 2 speed switch installed also). There is a yellow wire and a brown wire attached to the capacitor.

Jason :

I agree about reversing the blade. After posting that, I went off through my house to do some "research", and discovered that the pitch of the blades will stay the same if you take it off and flip it over before putting it back on.

Jason :

So I erred on that post for sure.

Jason :

However, it's extremely unlikely reversing can be achieved through wiring changes.

Jason :

If you don't mind standing by, I'll look for it Online, to see how difficult it would be to reverse the mounting on the stator.

Customer:

I don't mind waiting. I managed to reverse the direction but the motor doesn't run at full speed, so I need to know the proper wiring.

Jason :

It doesn't appear that P2SP is a valid part number. Are you able to check again for the part number?

Customer:

It's hard to tell because the label is damaged but I think that is supposed to be at least part of the model number not the part number

Jason :

I'm sorry, but I'm unable to find any relevant info Online. Perhaps one of the other guys has reversed one of these fans through connection changes. It may be best for me to opt out, to give the other electricians an opportunity to weigh in.

Customer:

Maybe my hopes are too high but I hope you can find the solution.

Jason :

How hard would it be to put the wiring back to original condition? Reversing the stator may be a better option.

Jason :

Is it a direct drive fan?

Customer:

The whole model number appears to be 'D-XIN-PSC-6P2SP'. It is a 1/4 hp motor. Yes, it is direct drive.

Jason :

That is a good number. However, it doesn't bring up any images for me to reference. I really do appreciate the request, but unfortunately, it doesn't appear I am able to assist you any further. I apologize for that, it doesn't happen very often. I'll opt out to open up the discussion for the other electricians.

Customer:

Thank you for your efforts.

Jason :

Happy to help. Thanks again. Another expert should be along shortly, but sometimes it can take a little while. Your patience is much appreciated.

Customer:

Would it be advisable to continue this chat tomorrow?

Jason :

You can, if that's what you prefer. Do you need instructions on how to get back to this conversation.

Jason :

?

Customer:

Yes, thank you.

Jason :

Log on to www.justanswer.com, and click "My Questions" in the upper right corner of the page. That should take you to a page that has a link to this chat. One thing to note... once I opt out, the chat feature will go away, and the question will switch to a Q/A format, which is more like a message board.

Customer:

I would rather stay in chat if that still means access to experts.

Customer:

After all the hour is getting later

Jason :

My opting out opens the question to all experts, but unfortunately, also takes the chat feature away.

Customer:

Would it then be advisable to wait until tomorrow so that others can do proper research without undo stress?

Jason :

Yes, that would likely be the best way to go. Although, some of the guys in this category are night owls, and are up answering questions at all hours of the night. It's really you choice.

Jason :

sorry... YOUR choice.

Customer:

Then let's keep going

Jason :

Just to clarify, do you mean with another expert, in the other format?

Customer:

That sounds like my only choice

Jason :

Until next week, when a new and improved version of the site is launched. I do apologize for the inconvenience though.

Customer:

I appreciate your candor and your attempt at the solution. I hope there is a solution.

Jason :

I'm sure there is. If you got it reversed, the speed problem is likely capacitor related. But I am hesitant to suggest connections when I don't have a lot of experience with reversing small single phase motors of this type. I would prefer to have another expert step in, over myself suggesting something that damages your fan.

Customer:

I understand and thank you very much

Jason :

Flipping the stator would work, but it's okay if you prefer to get it done through wiring changes.

Customer:

Thank you

Jason :

Have a great night, and thanks again for your patience. Take care.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. Reversing the blades is the easiest way to accomplish what you want. The leading edge of the blad will move front to back and then draw the air in the opist direction.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Reversing the blade does not reverse the air flow.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.
Well then, I'll need the colors and connection you have in the wiring compartment to review for a reversal.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

The label says the white wire is common, the black is high, and the red is low. There is a brown wire going to one side of the capacitor and a yellow one going to the other. Also there is a 2 speed switch in the mix as well. The black wire was going to the 1 position on the switch. The red wire was going to the 2 position on the switch. The white wire was going to the common side of the line. The L position of the switch was going to the hot(black) side of the line.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.
I'm sorry to say that I stand by flipping the blade for a reversal. The pitch remains the same but the leading edge will be opisit thus changing the air flow direction.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Reversing the blade does not change the direction of the air flow

Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.
If it turns clockwise and the blade leading edge is inward, flipping the blade having the leading edge outward will change the flow direction and operate on both speeds.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Flipping the blade changes the trailing edge to the leading edge and causes the air to flow in the same direction. Besides, that would be too easy!

Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.
It's late and I was stuck on that solution. The only other possibility is to reverse the connections on the field connections for the motor. The wires you listed don't give me a clear picture of the connections. The speed wires and the capacitor connections are not to be changed. Thee should be a hot and neutral to the field and when swapped the direction will reverse.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Now you understand why I am chatting with you all. I am willing to wait until tomorrow for a difinitive answer if there is one.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.
Can you upload a clear picture of the fan wiring compartment?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

No, I'm sorry, not now. There were wires running from the switch to the motor just as I explained with the colors that I listed.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.
The modification has to be in the motor, not on the wires from the switch. That's why I wanted a picture in order to see if the reversal is possible with your motor.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I managed to reverse the direction of the motor by attaching the hot(black) wire to the other side of the capacitor, but it doesn't run at the proper speed, so I need a better answer. I appreciate your analysis, but it's not enough. Maybe tomorrow we can give it a fresh approach or find more information.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.
That is why I said not to change the wires connect for the speeds or the capacitor. There needs to be 2 other connection nececessry to change to make the reversal possible.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience: Proven Professional 45 years Experience
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I will accept your answer even though it is not what I had hoped for. I will have to settle for trying to swap the rotor and stator. Wish me well and thanks for your efforts at this late hour.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you. Should you be able to upload a picture, possibly we can resolve the isue.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I'm sorry I can't comply with your request. I have modified the wiring and besides, it wouldn't give you any more info than I have explained. There is no connector board or anything else hiding the wires going in and out of the motor. Perhaps after I disassemble the motor it will become more clear. Thanks again for you efforts.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.
You're welcome - Good Luck.