Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

I have power coming into switch one as well as feeding out

I have power coming into switch one as well as feeding out of same box to light. I also have a three wire running over to second switch.....how should i wire this ?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Jason :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Jason :

Are you replacing 2 older switches with new ones?

Customer:

Hi Jason....Yes I am

Jason :

Thank you for the additional information. It just so happens that this site is launching a new service today. Do you think a phone conversation would make this project easier for you?

Customer:

I dont have a phone here with me....sorry

Jason :

No problem. We'll work through it in this chat.

Customer:

thanks

Jason :

Since you don't have a phone, that probably answers my next question... are you able to post photos here?

Customer:

no sir.....older home that I am helping my sister fix up.

Jason :

OK. Not a big deal. So, can you describe the disconnected wires in the box in as much detail as possible... relative to how many, and their colors? Do either of the two switches you are replacing work in conjunction with a second switch (in another area) to control the same light?

Customer:

power coming in is blk and wht wires....wires to light are the same.....3 wire going from box 1 to box 2 are red...blk and white. All wires have ground wires/ switches have a blk screw and brass screw on one side and a single screw on opposite side....these are the only switches for the light.

Jason :

OK, that helps tremendously. The switches are not in one box together, and they both control the same light, correct?

Customer:

that is correct...opposite side of room

Jason :

Very good. Please connect as follows...

Jason :

Find incoming hot black in the "busier" box, and connect it to the black screw on the switch for that box.

Jason :

Connect the feed white to the white that goes up to the light fixture.

Customer:

ok

Jason :

The black that goes up to the light can connect to the black that goes over to the other switch.

Jason :

That should leave a white and red for connecting to the remaining terminals on the switch (not counting ground wires).

Customer:

ok

Jason :

Connect the remaining red to one of the gold screws.

Jason :

Connect the remaining white to the other gold screw.

Customer:

completed

Jason :

Other than ground wires, you should be all set at this box.

Customer:

very good

Jason :

Moving to the second box, connect black wire to black screw.

Jason :

Connect white wire to a gold screw (either screw).

Jason :

Connect red wire to other gold screw.

Customer:

completed

Jason :

Connect ground wire to grounding terminal.

Customer:

finished

Jason :

Move back to first box, and twist all bare wires together.

Jason :

Do you have any short pieces of wire laying around?

Customer:

yes

Jason :

Please use a 6" piece of wire to add to splice of bare grounds, and connect other end to grounding screw on switch.

Customer:

completed

Jason :

Restore power at breaker, and test operation.

Customer:

will take one minute

Customer:

works !!!!! thank you

Jason :

I'm glad to hear that. Is there anything else I can do for you?

Customer:

no that was a great help....thanks again

Jason :

My pleasure. Happy to help... thanks for the opportunity.

Jason, Service Technician
Experience: Over 15 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.