Rick
Rick, Master Electrician
Experience:  10 yrs as a electrician. Have my own company.

I have (2) three way switches that are operating a ceiling

I have (2) three way switches that are operating a ceiling fan. One three way operates the light while the other 3 way operates the fan. I have a single pole that operates my porch light. How do I wire this so each runs independently?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

Rick :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX X'X here to answer any of your electrical questions.

Rick :

I'm not understanding your question. If you haveXXXXXswitches 1 for the light (on the fan) and one for the fan itself, and a separate switch for your porch light, then they should already be working independently. Or is this new and you meed to know how o wire the whole thing?

Customer:

Yes. This is new I need to know how to wire the whole thing.Thanks.

Customer:

A diagram would be helpful.

Rick :

No problem. Just so I'm sure what you have. DO you have (2) 3 way switches in one location, the (2) 3 way switches and the porch light switch at the other location?

Customer:

Yes.

Rick :

It's going to take a few minutes then I'll upload it for you.

Customer:

Thanks.

Customer:

Not rushing you but have you sent it ?

Rick :

Full Size Image
Just finished it. Hope you understand it.

Rick :

Let me know if you need further help, or need help understanding it. I'll send you a couple of other things about the 3 ways by them selves so you an have a better understanding.

Customer:

So I have to have a 4 way switch ?

Rick :

No. If you are talking about the 2nd image that I sent. i am only showing you how the 3 way switches work to help you understand. You need to wire it the way I explained on the first image. There is no 4 way switch in the 1st image.

Customer:

OK. But where is my 3rd switch that is single pole.

Rick :

If you look at the image you have 3 switches on the left. The 1st is your single pole, the other 2 are 3way switches, then on the other side of the paper you have two 3 way switches. I even showed the light and the fan

Customer:

I enter the room I haveXXXXXswitches in a double box. On the other side of the room I have a 3 gang box in this box I haveXXXXXand a single pole.

Rick :

That is exactly what I provided you a drawing of.

Customer:

I need you to show me all three switches and how each should connect.

Rick :

Obviously you are not looking at the right image. I will resend it.

Rick :

If that didn't work try this click here

Customer:

So I have to wire the single pole first then the 3 ways?

Rick :

Wire it as the picture shows. It doesn't matter where you put the single pole. Put it where you want, but wire it as it shows in the diagram

Customer:

What I'm asking is do I have to start with the single pole first?

Customer:

Sorry I'm being difficult.

Rick :

You can start on any side you want

Customer:

ok. Thanks.

Rick :

Everywhere you see a blot that is where you will put a wire nut to put the wires together.

Customer:

Have a good day.

Rick :

You too. Please rate. Thank you.

Rick, Master Electrician
Experience: 10 yrs as a electrician. Have my own company.
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.
Hi David, just wanted to say thank you for the excellent rating. It is greatly appreciated. If you have any more electrical questions, please let me know. Here is my profile page. Thanks again.

http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-electricianforhire/