Steve G., Electrical Engineer
Experience:  Spent 20 years as an Electrical Engineer, designing electrical plans and specifications.
329447

What is the multiplier for this meter? Image linked. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4

What is the multiplier for this meter? Image linked.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/Jynx_lucky_j/DSC00398.jpg

I work for a small town library. And for some strange reason our city manager is steadfastly refusing to show us our electric bill. This has caused some suspicion so we wanted to verify that our actual expense matches what is taken out of our budget. Normally I would just call the power company, but the local power station is owned by the city. So we were hoping to find out from an independent source first so we can verify the numbers add up.

Most likely our city manager is just a control freak (he is about most other things), however it would put our minds to rest if you could help us out.

Also, if you could show the math of how you figured the multiplier, it would be a big help in helping us understand, and should the numbers not add up we could point out why there is a problem.

We appreciate any help you can give.

Rick :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to answer any of your electrical questions.

Rick :

You will need to find out some information from your particular electric company since every one of them is different. You need to know the meter read at the 1st day of the billing cycle and the last day. You need to know what the power company charges per kilowatt hour, and if they have tiered billing, or flat rate. You also need to keep in mind hat their rates may change as the season changes as well.

Customer:

Thank you for the response, we do already have that information. They read the meter on the first day, they charge $0.0145/Kilowatt hour at a flat rate.

Customer:

The one thing we don't know is the multiplier for the meter

Rick :

And what is the last billing day, and meter read. What do you mean the multiplier for the meter? If the meter is reset monthly then and the meter reads 6554 then you multiply that by the .0145 that the electric company charges per kilowatt our. If it does not get reset monthly the you need to know the kilowatt hours used and multiply it by the .0145

Customer:

Well they don't reset it when they read it they just look at the difference from last time. The thing is that in a month it only moves about 150 which would be $15.68, obviously that isn't a realistic bill

Customer:

On the front it says "Kilowatt hours Multiply by" but the amount is blank

Rick :

I understand what you mean not. Very strange. I have never seen that before. I will opt out and maybe another electrician in another area is familiar with this type of meter. Is that ok with you?

Customer:

I had a meter in the past that was similar and the multiplied the reading by a certain amount that they figured using the Kh and Rr, and some other stuff. It was years ago and I don't remember how they figured amount

Customer:

Okay thank you for you help anyways

Rick :

No problem. Sorry i couldn't help you further along.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

Now..what is the multiplier that the utility company is using on the bill? Not the cost but where the amount of KWh used is given, you should have a multiplier like 1.085 for example.

If you can tell me what the bill is claiming, I can see if that is consistent with the meter in question.

Thanks
Steve
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That is kinda the problem we are having, our city manager won't show us our bill. We know that the rate is $0.1045/kilowatt hour. and that the meter moves about 150 in a month. but that works out to be a bit over $15. You can see on the image a spot where it says "Kilowatthour Multiply By" but the amount is blank.

I had a home meter in the past that was similar and the multiplied the reading by a certain amount that they figured using the Kh and Rr, and some other stuff. It was years ago and I don't remember how they said they figured the amount

The multiplier on your meter is unity. It is '1'. I know this because there is no multiplier shown.

I have double checked this with my local utility here in Maryland.

I hope that helps.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There has to be some sort of multiplier, like I mention above the meter only moves about 150 in a month, that works out to be a monthly bill of $15.68

I'm sorry, we are talking about two different things. Billing multiplier and meter multiplier. The billing multiplier is 166.66 x 0.6 x 1 which is 100. You are being under billed by 90%. You are actually using about 1500kwh per billing period Sorry about the misunderstanding. Regards. Steve
Steve G., Electrical Engineer
Experience: Spent 20 years as an Electrical Engineer, designing electrical plans and specifications.