Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

I have a service entrance with meter and 200 amp main. The

I have a service entrance with meter and 200 amp main. The neutral is bonded to ground at the main. The house load center is 70' away and connected by underground conductors. There is only two hots and a neutral. The current load center has the grounds combined with the neutrals. I'm changing out the load center. Should I drive a ground rod at the house and separate the grounds and neutrals when I install the new panel or skip the ground rod and bond the grounds and neutrals together like they are now?
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. Code requires 4 conductors from the main disconnect to the remote panel. A ground rod and a seperation of neutrals and grounds.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I know the current code. However, in the past, many of these were done with three usually common sized conductors. This question has come up on many job sites with existing underground conductors where they are not dug up and replaced with the 4th grounding conductor. My question was what to do when there are only the existing three and they need to be used as is. Code also requires specified grounding conductor for branch circuits, but when I install a light or receptacle on circuits without ground, code doesn't require rewiring the circuit.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
question was not answered
Tell me if the existing feeder conductors are all insulated wires.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, they are common 250 kcmil aluminum conductors with direct burial rated insulation. Thanks for reviewing.

To comply with Code, you can run a ground wire any way necessary to the remote panel. It doesn't have to be in the same trench. Then install a ground bar with a driven rod, then desperate the neutrals and grounds.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience: Proven Professional 46 years Experience

.I see Mike came back and gave you the answer you needed.