Rick
Rick, Master Electrician
Experience:  10 yrs as a electrician. Have my own company.

Our house was built in 1925. My husband was watching tv and

Our house was built in 1925. My husband was watching tv and the power went out to both the tv (on one outlet) and to a neighboring outlet where a lamp was plugged. We checked the breaker and everything else was fine.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.

Rick :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX X'X here to answer any of your electrical questions.

Rick :

Hi, Do you have a voltage tester?

Customer:

No :(

Rick :

Not a problem. It sounds like a loose wire, or a device has failed. More than likely a receptacle. If you do not have a tester, try plugging a lamp into a outlet that doesn't work, wiggle it around and see if it lights up make sure the lamp is in the on position while doing this. If it does not turn on leave it plugged into the same outlet. Grab something else you can use to plug into the rest of the outlets and wiggle it around at each of them watching to see if the light turns on. Coming from the panel the problem will either be at the outlet that is closest to the one not working. Or it can be the last one that is working on that circuit.

Customer:

Ok...I'm going to try that now. My husband panics if he can't watch sports. :)

Rick :

I understand. Usually it is going to be an outlet that the vacuum gets plugged into a lot. Or anything that uses a lot of power. This of course is assuming I'm right. It's just an educated guess.

Rick :

Without a tester, that's all I could really do for you.

Customer:

Ok. I tried the lamp and a fan but neither work. My husband did vacuum today but the vacuum worked fine. He watched tv a couple hours later and the power went off about an hour into watching tv.

Customer:

What do I need to do now? Do I need to have someone come look at the outlets?

Rick :

Yes, either have someone come out. Or you can buy a voltage meter, and i can continue to help you when you have the tester. Let me know what you would like to do.

Customer:

I will get a voltage meter in the next day or two and would appreciate your help. I don't feel comfortable "playing with wires", so if you think I should have someone come instead, I will do so.

Rick :

Yes, if you do not feel comfortable. Especially with a house that old. I would say get someone to come out. You can rate now.

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX bless!

Rick :

Thank you. Good night

Rick, Master Electrician
Experience: 10 yrs as a electrician. Have my own company.