Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired electrical contractor, 51 years experience.
23932409

I live in a doublewide 1975 mobile home. I want to change the

Customer Question

I live in a doublewide 1975 mobile home. I want to change the locations of light fixtures in master bedroom, dressing room and 2 bathrooms. I cant see where there is an opening for the attic. How would I do this?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer!

The mobile homes are not built with an attic, unless yours has a pitched roof, with the peak of the roof at least 3 feet above the ceiling.... those with flat roofs have no access to that wiring, short of removing the existing ceiling material and insulation.

Tell me what type of roof your mobile home has, we can go from there.

Phil
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It does not have a flat roof. pitch roof with 3 ft above ceiling

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello again, some of these are too restrictive to work in and the ceiling is not generally built do sustain a mans weight, so they do not provide access to that space and because many have too much internal bracing to allow passage once inside the attic.

However since it is a raised roof, you can find a place between the ceiling joists and cut a 6 or 8" hand hole to reach inside and re-route the wire that way.. then cover the hole later with a plastic cover plate, I would buy the cover plate first, then cut the hole after that.... so it will all fit.

Figuring out how to fit a cover plate generally has to be invented on the spot, a trip to a large hardware store will generally allow you to come up an option that will work.

When you cut holes it is easy to cut a live electrical wire, I drill a small hole first then use a coat hanger wire to feel around the area to insure there are no electrical wires in the area.

By cutting two holes, one where the new fixture goes and one near the old location you can use an electrical fish tape to get wire to the new location.

Let me know what you think, we can go from there as long as you rate my answers so far positively..I hold the question open for unlimited follow up in that case.

Phil

Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: Retired electrical contractor, 51 years experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your answer. It should be very helpful.

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome, thanks for the positive rating!

Phil