AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

I need a fan light switch for a Westinghouse fan. the switch

I need a fan light switch for a Westinghouse fan. the switch that is in it is a shine top e218558. Having trouble locating it online. any ideas?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

AssuredElectrical :

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

Trying to find one to look at, so I can see what it actually looks like, not familiar with that name.

Customer:

ok. I can't seem to find this switch. it is a two wire plastic switch with a heavy brass nut on the bottom of it. the brass nut has two set screw holes in it.

AssuredElectrical :

It is a flat style with the stem on one end?

AssuredElectrical :

Does it twist for on and off , or is it push on and off?

Customer:

Full Size Image

AssuredElectrical :

Oh

Customer:

here is a picture of it. black and clear plastic with the brass nut on the bottom

AssuredElectrical :

That looks like a standard pull switch, what is different?

Customer:

sorry, I didn't say it was a pull chain... I don't think...

AssuredElectrical :

It has the 2 set screws on the bottom, correct?

Customer:

Yes.

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, loosen the set screws and that piece should unscrew off the pull chain switch itself

Customer:

nope, the set screws held it on the hollow threaded bolt that ran down into the light kit section of the fan. I will try to unscrew it from the switch, though

Customer:

wait one.

AssuredElectrical :

yes, it will unscrew from the pull switch. They usually use that style connector on the lights with the switches on the very bottom of the fans and pull straight down

Customer:

Full Size Image

AssuredElectrical :

if you need a new nipple, you can get them in various lenghts

AssuredElectrical :

yes, the switch is a standard pull chain switch

AssuredElectrical :

get them anywhere

Customer:

correct. it DID unscrew. I thought it was one piece...

AssuredElectrical :

yea, they are misleading

Customer:

ok... um... what is a "nipple"?

Customer:

All I need is a two wire pull switch then, right?

AssuredElectrical :

the pipe that the brass coupler connected to

AssuredElectrical :

the brass couples the switch to the nipple so you can use a globe nut on the bottom? correct?

Customer:

correct.

AssuredElectrical :

yea, is that little nipple ok?

Customer:

you mean the brass nut? yes it is fine. the set screws are good. in fact, all is well with the world, now.

Customer:

so all I need is a single throw, two wire fan pull switch from HD/Lowes?

AssuredElectrical :

ok, great. Yea, go to Home depot and get a standard pull switch, it will have a little brass cover over the threads when you buy it, just remove the brass cover and install your brass coupler

Customer:

Awesome! wonder why no one knew that when I was there last weekend! grrr! Thanks for your help.

AssuredElectrical :

they just sell parts, not as knowledgeable as they should be, but you got it now

AssuredElectrical :

You are most welcome,

Customer:

great. THanks. how do I end this now?

AssuredElectrical :

just the rating when it asks you to rate my work with you and that is it

Customer:

good to know. normally can do all this on my own, but this brass nut had gotten the better of me! thanks again.

AssuredElectrical :

i do understand, happens alot

Customer:

k, goodnight

AssuredElectrical :

thanks you too

AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience: Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade