AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

Hi i have had a westing house csp hypersil transformer come

Hi i have had a westing house csp hypersil transformer come down in my yard near my well. jcp and l has failed to remove it promptly how can i tell if the oil spill contains pcbs?

AssuredElectrical :

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

proper PCB identification labels must be visible near the access to the transformers and also on the transformer itself.

AssuredElectrical :

Do you see any yellow labels stating PCB?

AssuredElectrical :

If the nameplate says "PCBs" or any of the names on the below list, then the transformer most likely contains PCBs. If the transformer's nameplate does not have any of the above labels, or if the label is missing or illegible, the utility company may be able to tell if the transformer contains PCBs. Otherwise the only way to be certain is to test the electrical fluid.

AssuredElectrical :

Abestol, Aroclor, Askarel, Chlophen
Chlorextol, DK, EEC-18, Fenclor
Inerteen, Kennechlor, No-Flamol, Phenoclor
Pyralene, Pyranol, Saf-T-Kuhl, Solvol
Non-Flammable Liquid

Customer:

There is no visible yellow label but it partially in a bush and standing up so i could not see the back or the bottom.

AssuredElectrical :

There are not many pole mounted transformers left with PCB, it would be rare because of all the EPA requirements. Doesnt mean yours is not. Is the neighborhood old?

AssuredElectrical :

Do you have any idea when the transformer would have been put into place? Is it a neighborhood?

Customer:

It only has one metal label and i do not see any of those names on it. it does say CSP on the label.

AssuredElectrical :

Customer:

my house was built in the 50's its a rural area.

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, wanted to check. PCB were banned in 1979

Customer:

Ive only owned the house for a little longer than a year.

AssuredElectrical :

Have you seen any oil or other residual fluid?

Customer:

oh yes the trasformer layed on its side in my front yard leaking for almost 30 hrs before JCP&L Showed up. Very strong smell and visible oil in my yard and bushes.

AssuredElectrical :

Oil has the smell no natter what, the transformer itself makes the oil smell nasty, no question.

AssuredElectrical :

If it was their transformer, they know if it contains any PCB at all

AssuredElectrical :

If they stood it up, then I doubt very seriously if it does, they would not have handled it without extreme caution.

Customer:

They than uprighted it and left the whole pole and everything in my yard it is quite the mess. I spoke Health Dept. this a.m. for feer of it contaminating my well and the reported back that my yard would be dug up according to jcp&l and soil sampled by 4:00 today. its 3:47 now and no one has responded.

AssuredElectrical :

The oil must be remediated

Customer:

Yes I am quite upset with the situation.

AssuredElectrical :

They will have to dig the dirt to good un-contaiminated soil, then take samples below that line also to verify

Customer:

It also Rained this a.m.

AssuredElectrical :

oil doesnt leach with water as much as you would think, as long as there is not a long time frame

AssuredElectrical :

we have had to get oil remediation on old home boilers, they have to remove all dirt that has signs

Customer:

The pole droped and started leaking Thursday took them 30 hrs to restore electric and uprite it. and here we are on monday and soil and yard are still drenched with the oil and smelling to high heaven.

AssuredElectrical :

Contacting the EPA is the wisest choice, they should give you a response. If not , contact the State EPD

Customer:

I appreciate your advice!

AssuredElectrical :

The oil is going to have the odor until they remove all the contaminated soil and surroundings, unfortunately