Steve G., Electrical Engineer
Experience:  27 years in Electrical Engineering, designing electrical plans and specifications.

I want to wire two tanks with pumps and float switches.The

I want to wire two tanks with pumps and float switches.

The datasheet for the two 110 VAC submersible pumps (model# XXXXX) say they use 0.22 amps. Other information says 26.5 watts.

The specifications for the float switches are:

contact rating 10 watts max
switching voltage 110VDC
switching current 0.5 amps max
breakdown volatage 220VDC max
carry current 1 amp max
contact resistance 100 ohms max

Are relays required or can I use the float switches directly?

Can you provide a wiring diagram? Here is what I want it to do:

Tank A pumps into Tank B.
Tank A has a float switch that turns off Pump A when the Tank A level is LOW.
Tank B has a float switch that turns off Pump B when the Tank B level is LOW.
Tank B has a float switch that turns off Pump A when the Tank B level is HIGH.

Thanks.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Steve G. replied 9 months ago.
Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

Now..I can probably help you here.

How many pumps are there and can you tell me what each pump does?

Thanks
Steve
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Steve,

I am also an engineer (metallurgical) with 23 years experience.

contact rating 10 watts max
switching voltage 110VDC
switching current 0.5 amps max
breakdown volatage 220VDC max
carry current 1 amp max
contact resistance 100 ohms max

Tank A pumps into Tank B.

Thanks.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 9 months ago.
So each tank has a pump? That is where I am unclear.

What does each pump do? Pump water in? Pump water out?

Please let me know so that we can continue.

Regards
Steve
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Steve,

Sorry I wasn't clear. This is a hydroponics setup. There are 3 tanks and two pumps.

Water drains by gravity into Tank A.

Pump A in Tank A pumps to Tank B.

Pump B in Tank B pumps to Tank C.

When the level is low in Tank A, its low level switch should turn off Pump A to prevent pumping dry.

When the level is low in Tank B, its low level switch should turn off Pump B to prevent pumping dry.

When the level is high in Tank B, its high level switch should turn off Pump A to prevent overflowing Tank B.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 9 months ago.
Ok, what is to stop Pump B overflowing Tank C?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

The system is one big loop. I'm moving 1000+ liters between 3 tanks with a capacity of 1500 liters. The problem is that because Tank C drains intermittently (and randomly) into Tank A, it is possible for water to be pumped from Tank A into Tank B faster than it can be pumped out of Tank B into Tank C. This causes Tank B to overflow.

If all 3 pumped continuously, no float switches would be necessary.

I know my system description is confusing, but the plumbing is rather irrelevant, I'm just looking for 2 wiring diagrams - one for a pump with one low level float switch and another for a pump with high and low level float switches.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 9 months ago.
Ok, I can draw something out and upload it here.

Looking at your specs, it does not look like the switches can control the pumps directly so you will need a relay for each float switch.

I'm also going to assume that the switches 'make' when the float is 'up'.

Give me 10 mins.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Low Level Switch A (Normally Open) turns ON Pump A when it closes.

Low Level Swich B (Normally Open) turns ON Pump B when it closes.

High Level Switch C (Normally Open) turns OFF Pump A when it closes. Switch C needs to override Switch A.

Thanks.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 9 months ago.
Ok, to be sure, your float switches close the circuit when the water level rises above them - correct?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

No, high Level Switch C (Normally Open) turns OFF Pump A when it closes. Switch C needs to override Switch A.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 9 months ago.
Here you go.

You will need three relays, one will have NC contacts - for the high level B switch.

Take a look at it and let me know if you have any questions.

>>>CLICK HERE<<<

I'll be here if you need further help with this issue. Please let me know.

Regards
Steve
Steve G., Electrical Engineer
Experience: 27 years in Electrical Engineering, designing electrical plans and specifications.