Alex, Master Electrician
Experience:  Owner of independent electrical contracting company. Licensed Electrical Contractor in CT.

I just purchased a Lithonia 198 urj fixture at Home Depot.

I just purchased a Lithonia 198 urj fixture at Home Depot. The instructions are non-existent. The connection has a black wire, and a white wire (which I am used to), but also a RED wire. I was intending to connect it using 2 conductor cable.

I have seen various answers on line, and been given advice at Home Depot which I believe to be wrong. My question is: Do I cap off the RED WIRE and not use it (advice from Home Depot associate), or should the RED AND BLACK be connected together to feed the ballast?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Hello and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help you.

1. How many and what color wires are in the ceiling box.

2. How many and what color wires are coming out of light fixture?

3. Is there a one wall switch controlling that ceiling box or 2 wall switches.

4. Do you have volt meter with two probes?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

[1] The ceiling box has only two wires, black and white.

[2] The Lighting fixture (Lithonia 198 URJ you can see the specs at or the Lithonia website) has THREE WIRES (plus a Green GROUND). RED, Black, and WHITE.

[3] This garage light is controlled by 2 light switches.

[4] Yes I have a volt meter with probes.

I have not yet wired up the fixture nor hung it, awaiting figuring out how to do it!! There are no helpful instructions in the box (unusual for Home Depot).

I can not find that model on the homedepot web site. How many bulbs does the light have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, there is another number on the box too =-= which must be the part. It has 6 lights. Part Number is XXXXX

The Home Depot Link is:

Hmm. Give me few minutes. Let me see if I can find documentation.
I can not find any info on that light.

Does the light have 2 ballasts? Can you see from where the red wire is coming from?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I believe it is a single ballast set-up. I will have to disassemble the fixture in order to view the ballast.

Well if its 6 bulb light most likely it has 2 ballasts. Can you snap a picture of the light where the wires are coming from and upload here ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Here is information I copied from the Home Depot website I directed you to:

• High performance reflector provides 95% total reflectance for maximum light output

• Energy-efficient T8 fluorescent technology

• High ballast factor multi-volt (120-277 volt) electronic ballast starts reliably down to 0ºF

I am pretty sure it is a single ballast. The fact that it is a multivolt 120-277 Volt may suggest that the RED wire is for a 220 connection? Does that make any sense. I don't want to waste your time, so if you don't have any other information I will dis-assemble the fixture and see if there is a wiring diagram on the ballast -- and confirm it is indeed a single.

I have not seen 6 bulb single ballast.

Is the wire red or orange?

Maybe it's black wire with red tape?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Nope -- It is red. I am going to go and dis-assemble the light fixture now to see what I can find out from inside. I can then snap a picture if necessary, and then I will try to send it to you.

Will take a few minutes.

Ok. Let me know
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not sure how to send you a picture, but opening the unit I found the answer -- now I just have to put it all back together. Once apart, there are 3 wires that feed the connector that leads outside BLACK, WHITE, and GRAY. The GRAY TURNS TO RED on the other side of the connector. The label indicates:

Line Voltage Dimming Control

Gray Wire Connected to Line or Neutral: operates at 100% Light Level

Open Circuit Gray wire - Ballast Starts At High Level And Dims To Low Level (60%),

It is a single Ballast -- Product Code 71497 -- A GE Ultramax T-8 Ballast.

I am just going to wire the "RED" (aka Gray) to NEUTRAL WHITE -- and then Black to Black and White White and it seems it should all work out.

Sorry this was such a tough one, and no information on-line. Now I have to go back an put the fixture back together so that I can wire and hang it!!

Good job Ed. Let me know how it goes and if you need more help.