AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade

Hello, I removed a light fixture to paint. After re installing

I removed a light fixture to paint.
After re installing it, it did not work again.
the wiring is as follows;
2 black wires attached to each other
2 whites attached to a single going to fixture
2 grounds attached to each other and red going to fixture

Not only does it not work but now I have 2 other lights in garage not working.
breaker is fine as I have a dehumidifier plugged into an outlet that is fed by same breaker.
I am baffled!
Thanks
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 10 months ago.
Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

Do you have a 2 lead voltage meter with readout?

How many switches control the one light?

Besides the garage lights, can you find any receptacles that are not working now?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi

I do not have a 2 lead meter with readout

1 switch only

no, no other receptacles are working

Thanks

Ok, maybe we can work through without a tester, lets see how far we can get.

First can you identify which breaker that light is on?

If so, turn it off. Then at the ceiling box, remove the wire nut holding the 2 black wires together and make sure the wires are twisted together well with lots of copper showing and then replace the wire nut.

Do the exact same for the 2 white wires with that pigtail to the fixture.

Either of those with a loose connection between the wires can knock out power to another light or receptacle.

Check those connections and post back. Hopefully it is just a poor connection.

Make sure there is plenty of copper to copper twisting.

Thanks
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience: Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

checked connections. plenty of copper with tight twist

Ok, thanks.

If the problem was not in the ceiling box, then from there, have to open up each location that is now DEAD.

The switch box first and check any connections between blacks and also any whites, the same as the ceiling box.

A tester eliminates most of the checks and allows to follow the same path without checking connections,
But without the tester, it is a check on all connections unfortunately.

I would also, verify all receptacles with a lamp or appliance to be sure all are operational and the only things not working are the light and 2 garage lights.

So, have to check the light switch connections on all wire nuts first, if that doesn't cure the problem, will have to move to the garage lights.

Somewhere there is a loose connection, it takes some time to find it
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I have checked all outlets and switches connected to this breaker. all works except the 3 lights.

I'll get a tester in AM.

Thank you

Ok.

When you get the tester, first check would be, between the whites and blacks in the ceiling box.

If not 120 volts, check between the grounds and the blacks.

Then post the results and we can work from there.

I may also post some other checks at various locations, so do check back here before starting the tests for any additional information.

Will await your post tomorrow.

Thanks
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I will.

Thanks

ok, talk tomorrow, have a good evening
In case I am off line when you initially return.

Some points to test.

graphic