Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired electrical contractor, 51 years experience.
23932409

Building an RV park in the Texas area. With a total of 96 sites.

Building an RV park in the Texas area. With a total of 96 sites. They will all be 50 amp sites. Do I still us a demand factor of .41 I will be setting pole ever 150 .the lot is 1000 ft deep. The site will be 4 roll wide with road ways between them. Will be installing sub meters at the RV pads. The sub meter pedestals will have breakers in them. Be I still need a breaker panel off the main. Trying to keep my runs to the sub meter less an 300 ft. All wiring after the main will be run under ground in conduit. What is the most cost effective way to run power from the main to the sub meters.
Thanks for all the help.

Welcome to Just Answer!

Electrical engineering will be required to get the building permit. These issues can get complex when attempting to minimize wire runs and costs and still comply with the code.

I can answer a few questions generally however.

You might want to bring the power onto the property at two separate locations. I would divide the property into 4 separate quadrants, and bring the power into a spot centered in each pair of quadrants, Put an electrical room at each location, each electrical room with 2 each, breaker panels capable of holding 24 each 60 amp 230v single phase breakers.

Each of the 60 amp breakers to serve one spot, with an electric meter at each spot along with a 50 amp GCFI breaker/ disconnect made for RV parks. Run the 3 conductor wire with ground in direct burial underground rated cable, at least 36 inches deep. on a 2" thick bed of sand, then covered with 2 inches of sand, some people lay a 1 inch thick, x 10 inch wide redwood plank over the top bed of sand, then back fill the trench.

Wire size of the cable to be determined by your electrical engineer (or licensed electrical contractors) final design and length of each run)

The under ground cable runs should be in pattern and available for later excavation, and well marked as under ground cable routes.

.41 demand factor for sizing the main feeder side from the utility to your electrical rooms is about as tight as you would want to go, take your electrical engineers advice on those issues as he designs the electrical rooms and panels. The code in these cases is a *minimum standard...not... always best practice in all situations.

Let me know what you think, we can go from there as long as you rate this answer positively...in that case I leave the question open for a few follow up questions.

Phil

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am in Harris County. In a town called Highlands 77562. Houston does not inspect this area. Only the civil. All may plain have been stamped. But no electrical plain are needed. Just have to get new tie in permit from Center Point. Can I send you a drawing of my lay out. Can only bring power down one side of the propertie. All my prints for ease ments have bent stamped. The land is 185' wide by 1200 deep
Hello again, this job still needs some electrical engineering, even without a permit. You can make costly mistakes trying to do it yourself with only a few answers addressing some of the issues, Cost savings on equipment sourcing alone will pay for the engineering if you tell the engineer you will try to use surplus electrical panels and you get the right engineer. I can be helpful from here, but cannot provide the detailed engineering you need..thats an extensive project.

Just Answer, is rolling out a new set of options the 19th of September that will allow us to do this sort of extended work..

If you can send me some good photo's of the drawings you have, I can take a look at them and give you an estimate of the time that will be involved.

We can go from there.

Phil
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do you have an Email address I will send you a file.

Hello again,

Send the file to [email protected]' attention:Customerbr/>

Center Point will issue not you a tie in permit until they inspect the job and insure that it meets the national electrical code....they may very well require a Registered Professional Electrical Engineer in the State of Texas to stamp the drawings... he will not stamp the drawings unless he or his engineering office draws them....or... if someone else draws them and they are accurate in *every detail... a set of plans like that generally runs 5 to 10, 36 inch by 48 inch prints... and involves specifications for each and every component of the system, including detail drawings of every connection type and other aspects of the project. They will charge you between $50,000 and $100,000 for that work depending on what the net load analysis turns out to be... probably in the 450-600 kwh range depending what services you end up supplying to each site..

A sketch from someone on a basic layout and not details, and no registration in Texas will generally not come close to being adequate, and puts everyone involved, including yourself as owner, at great risk. Thats why such things are simply not done with electrical systems. Other things such as carpentry, drainage, water systems etc are less risky and you can often get a job build in those regards XXXXX XXXXX But thats seldom if ever true with electrical when you dealing with a large electrical utility.

Before you proceed further you should contact Center Point and get from them in detail what they need from you before they will connect to an electrical grid system for such a large RV park. If they say 'Stamped drawings' this extensive set of drawings is what I am referring to.

The electric utility can be held liable for negligence if they connect to an improperly wired power distribution grid... just defending such a lawsuit can cost several hundred thousand dollars, and jury awards can run into the tens of millions of dollars.

What I can do for you from here beyond the advice already given if you choose to rate my work so far positively, is to provide a schematic sketch that will take me 8 or 10 hours including research, of what will generally be required to help you assess the cost, get engineering quotes and possibly deal with an electrical contractor on some aspects of the job. That will not be sufficient in helping you get deal with Center Point.

You will still need a set of electrical plans to satisfy Center Point, those plans must meet the National Electrical Code...regardless if you need a local building permit or not.

Let me know if that option interests you, we can go from there.

Phil

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Phil. I meeting Center Point this week. As for as drawing it seam strang but I have 2 parks that friends have build and there were no electrical drawing. I will talk to them and give you an up date.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be looking forward to what the utility company has to say.

The electrical engineering estimate I gave was high I was using the wrong chart, it will likely be in the $10,000 to $15,000 range, you will have to put the job out to bid in order to get the exact price if you end up going that way.

Phil