AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

During a thunderstorm......my cable box got fried. I guess

During a thunderstorm......my cable box got fried. I guess lightening hit it b/c when Comcast hooked it up they didn't plug it into the surge protector and I didn't notice.
There's still power in the box b/c the clock is on......but nothing comes on.. with the cable. it still records and does that stuff.
My question is - instead of doing the smart thing and unplugging it - i left it plugged in.....stupid I know but I'm at work - an hour away - if it records now which is useless b/c nothing plays on it - will that cause an electrical fire? Since there's power running through it - it kicks on to record - a spark will start an electrical fire?
I'm not sure if I'm making sense.

Thanks
Noelle
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

AssuredElectrical :

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

Hi Noelle, your explanation is very good on the situation.

AssuredElectrical :

I would not be concerned over a fire or an electrical issue because of the cable box.

AssuredElectrical :

If it had a major issue, it would trip the breaker at the panel. Since it is operating partially, it shows that an electronic part has failed inside. This happens and is not a danger but the box will need replacing.

Customer:

ok - so eventhough it continues to record - something inside it failed so it won't play. I did plug it into the surge protector eventhough it wasn't working last night just in case.

AssuredElectrical :

Yes, that is correct. It uses different components for recording and playing.

Customer:

I just don't want any electrical fire......I should have kept it unplugged. So I don't need to sit here at work worrying about it - in my new hoouse I just bought 3 months ago - it should be ok?

AssuredElectrical :

It will be fine, do not worry. If it had an issue inside that could be a danger, it would not even be working and the breaker would trip in the panel, which is the protection for the circuit.

AssuredElectrical :

I have a couple DVD recorder/players that do the same thing. record to disc but I have to use another player to play the disc. I use them still.

AssuredElectrical :

These are small electronic components inside and when they fail, that it all, no danger of arcs, fires , shorts etc.

Customer:

OK - it's going to be a long day. I asked people in the office I work in tv and they said it should be fine. I feel better asking an electrician.

AssuredElectrical :

I can understand, always best to get other information. I would not give it a second thought, I wouldn't if it was at my own home.

Customer:

ok thank you. I'm terrified of fire.....plus I have pets. So I'll just go right home and unplug that sucker. When I get my new box it will go in the surge protector.

AssuredElectrical :

Good plan, you are most welcome, glad to assist. I always suggest the surge protectors on any TV or electronic equipment as a precaution.

Customer:

I have them for tv and computer - it just wasn't plugged in. my mistake to not check after Comcast left. Lesson learned.

AssuredElectrical :

When you get the replacement from them, might make them aware of their Techs failure to use the surge protector. Many times they are in too much of a hurry to verify their own work.

Customer:

When I called to tell them what happened - i told them it was not plugged into the surge protector they said that's not their fault. it was my responsibility to make sure everything was where it should be. At least I don't have to pay for a new box. It's just a hassle now to go get a new one and hook it up myself. oh well.

AssuredElectrical :

Wow, thats really a bad customer relationship. It costs them money, not you. Seems they would have been more receptive with a simple "thank you for the information".

Customer:

When you're the largest cable provider I don't think they really care. They'll just refurbish the box and give it to some other person. As long as it doesn't cause a fire I don't really care.

AssuredElectrical :

I understand. Enjoy the rest of the day, worry free. All is well.

Customer:

Great thank you! Enjoy your day as well. :-)

AssuredElectrical :

thanks

AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience: Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade