Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 45 years Experience

Does a motel room need to be on a separate circuit? My electrician

Does a motel room need to be on a separate circuit? My electrician seems to think so but from what I was reading two or more rooms can share the same circuit. They are small basic rooms with no cooking.

He is planning to have each guest room running on its own circuit. The bathroom GFI will be on this circuit as well. There is a lot of work to separate these circuits.

From what I was reading, the bathroom need to be on a separate circuit and rooms can share share circuit.

I am based in Florida and we are renovating a motel.

Thanks,
Weng
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. What is the square footage of the room including the bathroom?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Just under 200 sq ft including bathroom. Very basic room. Just bed, tv, desk, mini bar fridge and chair.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.
The requirement is 2 VA per square foot for lighting and outlets. There needs to be 2 accessable receptacle outlet in the room. The bathroom lighting may be on the general lighting circuit but the GFCI receptacle shold be on its own circuit due to the loads of blow dryer and the like.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Does the GFCI have to be on its own circuit based on the current NEC code? I know it should be on its own circuit.

My original question also asked does the motel room need to be on its own separate circuit?

Thanks

Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.
Based on 2 va per foot, you may have up to 4 rooms per 20A circuit. The Bathromm GFCI receptacle, though not specificly required to be on it own circuit for the occupancy is recommended to be, otherwise you may have circuits tripping when used by more than one occupant at the same time.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

My original question also asked does each motel room need to be on its own circuit?

Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.
Didn't you understand the last p[ost. No, you may have up to 4 rooms on a 20A circuit. Another reason for the seperate bathromm receptacle circuit would be for its use for bed bug elimination for the heaters.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.
The A/C and heat would not be on the general lighting circuits
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience: Proven Professional 45 years Experience