Steve G., Electrical Engineer
Experience:  27 years in Electrical Engineering, designing electrical plans and specifications.
329447

The Electric Company we have to use (its a Co-Op) exchanged

The Electric Company we have to use (it's a Co-Op) exchanged our electric meter last month and our bill was higher that it ever has since we moved into this house in 2009. We do not have a pool, hot tub and essentially nothing has changed. I called the electric company and they said maybe it was our AC/Heating system - they came over immediately and the system is running at 0.7amps and our heating is gas, so is the stove, the water heater ( I don't know the name of the water pump, however you punch a doorbell type button when you want the water to heat up for laundry, showers, etc.)

Although the Electric Company says it is not a Smart Meter, I think it is - they
covered some information with their logo strip. What I can visualize is FOCUS AXR-SD
Form 2SCL200 240V 3W 60Hz TA = 30 Kh 7.2
AR 60 min THERE LOGO STRIP
100 901-402
Landis + GYS.

Oh and our house is an Energy Star Home, with excellent Foam Insulation in the attic and every appliance is Energy Star. I don't know our R-rating but could check with our builder.

How can I tell if the meter is a smart meter and how can I check what might be causing the electricity drain?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

Now..just so I understand, the power company is trying to convince you that you are using 200 kilowatt/hours per day?

That would mean that you are running about 8Kw of load at any time in your home.

I think you need to call them back and ask them if they are insane. Something is not right there if you were previously using between 21 and 60 which by the way, is about right for a 2000 square foot house.

And, if they measured 0.7 Amps, that should tell them right there that something is wrong. 200KW/h a day would equate to an average of 35 amps.

I'd call them back and get them out there.

Let me know if you need more help.

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the important information. I called them to clarify and they say it's an average of 213 Kilwatts per 24 hour period. They say they sent someone out yesterday (I was not here) to evaluate the meter and of course it's working fine. I am unplugging everything and I think I should have an independent Electrician come out today. Could you tell if my meter is a smart meter from the info I gave you? I just want to be sure before I go throwing Stones at the Electric Co.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.
I don't think it is relevant if it is a smart meter or not. It's not working correctly.

You need to find an electrician who will come over and put a clamp meter around your incoming conductors and measure the current.

Again, 213KW in a day is about 8KW an hour which is about 35Amps.

Is there anything in your home that could be drawing 8KW?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Here's a chuckle for you that I may need to take seriously, we live in Texas we turn the thermostats to 77 degrees during the day and 70-68 at night one only one side of the house for approximately 7 hours, then it's back up to 77.

If I am working from home we have so much natural light, I don't turn the lights on.

Appliances are energy saver brands, all are about 3-4 yrs old, except washer and dryer - 6-7 yrs old.

We have an outdoor fountain that we run only for about 2 hours at night, small pump since we are in the Texas heat, it's just used for circulation.

Outdoor lights against the house stay off, we don't leave lights on at night.

Almost all outlets have a power surge strip so I can pull them at night to decrease draw while we sleep, 3 TV's.

The only item that is new is their meter. So I will call an Electrician right now and have them come out tomorrow if that can be arranged.

Thank you for your help Steve you have been excellent!

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.
Linda, explain to them that you need them to bring a 'Clamp Meter' also known as an 'Amprobe'.

You need them to measure the current on the two LINE conductors coming into your panel board.

I'll be here if you need more help. Please consider rating my service using the smiley faces or stars that appear right here on this page It is the only way I am compensated by this site. It works like an eBay or Amazon rating so please consider clicking on one of the better choices :)

It does not close our discussion. We can continue if needed.

I thank you in advance.

Regards

Steve
Steve G., Electrical Engineer
Experience: 27 years in Electrical Engineering, designing electrical plans and specifications.