Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired electrical contractor, 51 years experience.
23932409

I use crimp connectors and terminals on braided wire in automotive

I use crimp connectors and terminals on braided wire in automotive work. Can these connectors be used in house hold lighting circuits? Does it matter if the wire is solid or braided?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer!

The type of crimp tool that just mashes a terminal onto the wire flat will not work at all on solid wire, and works poorly on stranded or braided wire.

The kind of crimp tool, called a 'stake-on' type works much much better.. I will get this out to you now, and in the meantime I will look up some examples to show you.

Phil
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Here is the stake-on type of crimp tool that will work well on solid wire, but you need to be careful not to work the terminal and wire loose by over handling them....You need to put the stake post on the crimp tool *opposite the seam in the terminal.

grainger industrial supply carries these... Thomas and Betts makes the best over the range of sizes, small to very large.

If you choose to rate these two answers of mine positively, I will hold this question open for you without any time limit.

Thanks!
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: Retired electrical contractor, 51 years experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Would I be better just using wire nuts? I'm doing this job on a submarine museum and safety is primary importance.

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, wire nuts are very good if connecting all solid wired and if you use electricians pliers to twist them all together (clockwise) then apply the wire nut, Wire nuts make it almost impossible to do a neat job however, unless used in an accessible race way.

Terminal strips are better than wire nuts in most situations. And mandatory where you need to continuously verify the quality of every connection. You cannot do that easily with wire nuts.

Wire nuts of course cannot replace wire terminals

Let me know if this makes any sense on your end, we can go from there.

Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer