AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade

I went to plug in my camera charger and unbeknownst to me a

I went to plug in my camera charger and unbeknownst to me a small magnet had attached to the space between the prongs. When I put the charger into the electrical outlet, two inch sparks flared and everything attached to that breaker went dead. But when I went down to the fuse box, no breaker has flipped off. How much damage may I have done? What do you think happened?

I put urgent in this, if it is not answered within an hour I wish to abort this process and I will pay the $5 but not the remainder.

Deb

Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 10 months ago.

AssuredElectrical :

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

Do you have a voltage tester? 2 lead multimeter style?

AssuredElectrical :

Most likely, when the shorting occurred, it sent a vibration down the wiring, which is typical. When this happens, it normally either trips the breaker or creates a lost connection somewhere in the circuit.

AssuredElectrical :

A voltage tester allows to measure at the receptacle and see which wire was dislodged, the hot or the neutral. Either one will disrupt the circuit and the issue may be at any point in the circuit.

AssuredElectrical :

Making a circuit directory for that breaker will allow to see everything on the circuit. There may be items that are working which it did not affect. The problem is usually the closet receptacle to the last one working or the first one not working.

AssuredElectrical :

Removing the receptacles from the wall and checking the tightness of the connections is the normal step after measuring voltages. If they are not wired with the side screws, now is the time to do so, as the back push in connections are the ones that always fail in this situation.

AssuredElectrical :

Full Size Image

AssuredElectrical :

Full Size Image

AssuredElectrical :

The 2 images above help to isolate where the problem may be located. Hopefully the descriptions are clear. Please just reply for anything further, thanks

AssuredElectrical :

In these situations it is almost 100% loose connection was created and no real damage to any wiring etc. Maybe the one receptacle needs replacing at the most. The hardest part is isolating to a select few items before removing receptacles and checking connections.

Customer:

I am not happy with this advice, pls do not charge the remainder, I am NOT satisfied.

AssuredElectrical :

What exactly are you unhappy about if I may ask. The response is exactly what any electrical contractor will do and advise on site. I do this everyday and have done this for 40+ years.

AssuredElectrical :

There is no easy solution in these cases, no magic answer. It has to have troubleshooting done in an orderly fashion by the electrical contractor or by the customer. It isnt possible to narrow down any issue without testing.

AssuredElectrical :

Not exactly sure what one would expect, so please do advise and lest see if we can narrow down further if you have more information on the situation.

AssuredElectrical :

Thanks.

AssuredElectrical :

Bad service is a reflection on the expert, not the website. Experts are just that, licensed in their field with years of experience and offer the best that is possible as they do in their everyday jobs of contracting. It is not an arbitrary or guess by any means.

AssuredElectrical :

Thanks so much!

AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience: Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade