AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade

We are considering purchasing a HUD foreclosure and the report

We are considering purchasing a HUD foreclosure and the report says that they connected up a 220 volt generator to the line and was unable to power up the central air unit, or the range, or the dishwasher. Any ideas what the issue could be?
Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

Most of the HUD reports I have worked with always provide if there was voltage present at the equipment or not.

Does it not show whether power was present or not, then if the items would not operate?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It says the electrical system was tested with a 220 volt generator and was NOT functional. Unable to energize circuitry.

Do you need more information that that? I don't see anything else on the report except they estimate it will cost $1500 for repair.

That is a very generic of a response for a HUD disclosure in my opinion and never seen one as such stated that way.

That could account for a number of items.

Breakers off, breakers not operational, no power at disconnects, bad equipment, bad wiring or missing cables.

It could be any one of the above, that is why it is normal for them to give that power was present but equipment not operational, or power was not present at the equipment so it could not be tested.

With lights and all other in the home being operational ( I assume?), it could be the breakers ($100 -$200), cables missing (see this often where they remove copper for scrap sale before they vacated the premises) (possible $500-$1000), or the AC, dishwasher and range are bad (possibly several thousand)

Very hard to pinpoint with a report that is not sufficient to isolate the problem.

So just listing the most probable is best response I can see at this point.