Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

Hello, I need some help from a REAL electrician. Im

I need some help from a REAL electrician. I’m a retired elevator installer (26 years, jack of all trades, expert an none). I’m familiar with basic wiring, Ohm’s Law, etc., and know when to ask questions.
Here’s my situation: I’m remodeling my kitchen. My five year old, Jenair electric stove has red, black, white, and ground. Off the top of my head, it has two #8’s and two #10’s. My house, built in 1962, has black, white & ground being used for 240 volts. They look like #10. Here’s the weird part, the white is bonded to ground at the beaker and the ground (green) is connected to hot, as is the black. I was surprised because I expected black and white to be the hot legs and ground to be ground. Also, it’s a 40 amp circuit breaker, not 30 amp as I expected.
Here are my questions:
1) Should I be using a 30 amp breaker for #10 wire?
2) Have you ever heard of the ground in a house’s 240 circuit used as hot?
3) With my oven having red, black, white and ground, how should I wire up the outlet?
Also, the oven has been working for the last five years with the funky wiring as described above.

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Jason :

Hi Jim. Welcome to Just Answer.

Jason :

Can you post a photo of the wiring in the panel that is confusing?

Jason :

I read it through a couple of times, and it confuses me as well.

Customer:

Impossible to post photo at this time. Maybe this will help: With my meter I'm reading 110 volts through the outlet's ground, 110 through the black and nothing on the white. Shouldn't it be 110 on the black, 110 on the white and nothing on the ground?

Jason :

Yes, that's correct. Is the ground wire insulated?

Customer:

yes

Jason :

It almost sounds like they used two wires for the wrong application. Do you mind standing by while I try to sketch out the wiring, as described in your original question?

Customer:

no prob

Jason :

Great. I'll post again ASAP.

Customer:

take your time

Jason :

I can tell you that #10 wire should be protected by a breaker no large than 30 amps, as you suspected.

Customer:

thought so

Jason :

Would it be possible for you to set up the wiring so that the black and white are hots, and the green is ground?

Customer:

yes

Jason :

Very good. That covers 2 of your questions. Lastly...

Jason :

When you are ready to reconnect the stove, white and green should go to the green wire, once it's been converted to a ground. Then, stove black to wall black, stove red to wall white.

Customer:

In other words, the red and black should be hot, the white and green are both going to ground?

Jason :

Yes, on a 3 wire wall circuit for a stove, that's how we set them up. If you were installing a new circuit for the appliance, it would be required to be 4 wire.

Customer:

Very cool. I'm amazed that the former electrician (or homeowner) made the ground wire hot!

Customer:

Your description is how I thought it should be. Just wanted to confirm with someone that knew more than I did.

Jason :

I call installations like that "homeowner specials". Oddly, no one has ever asked me to clarify. It's like they know exactly what I mean.

Customer:

Thanks for your help.

Jason :

You are most welcome. Is there anything else I can do for you?

Customer:

No thank you. Enjoy your Sunday.

Jason :

Thank you. You do the same. I hope my service has been helpful. I appreciate the opportunity to assist.