Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

Power New Barn Power Added new power supply at meter on

Power
New Barn Power
Added new power supply at meter on pole so we could run power to house and to a new barn. The new power supply now has a 150 amp main breaker that feeds the house and a 60amp double pull that will feed the Barn. The barn is 16ft from the pole.
I plan to install an 100 amp main breaker box in the barn using #6 stranded copper wire.
Can I do this or does the main breaker in the barn also have to be a 60 amp?
Is #6 wire ok?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Jason :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Jason :

For a 60 amp feed, #6 wire is fine.

Jason :

The distance, at only 16 feet, is a non issue.

Jason :

You won't have a voltage drop problem at all.

Jason :

The #6 wire needs to be protected by a properly sized breaker (relative to amperage rating) at either end.

Jason :

Since you plan to feed that wire with a double pole 60, you are fine connecting the other end of it to a double pole 100.

Customer: The plan for the box in the barn is to have a 100 amp main, not a 100 amp double pull. I also plan to run 220 so I can maybe add a welder later with lights and sockets.....I'm guessing 3to 4 circuits.
Jason :

OK. Everything you've proposed still sounds fine though. I see no issues with it at all.

Jason :

Do you have any other questions?

Customer: No thank you. I'll review again in the morning.
Jason :

Sounds good. Thank you for the opportunity to help. Have a great night.

Jason, Service Technician
Experience: Over 15 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.